CNET Editors' review
There's a media player out there for just about everyone, from technophobic grandpas to people who edit various types of media for fun and profit. Zoom Player Free is definitely geared toward the more advanced users, given the depth of its features and its tendency to be a bit less-than-simple to use.
Once installed, Zoom Player Free greeted us with a long list of additional components to download. If you don't know what FFDShow, DirectVobSub, and FFMPEG Core Files are, you're likely going to be frustrated by the fact that you're being asked to make decisions about things you don't know anything about. All of the options are selected by default, and you can go ahead and download all of them or just skip this step and proceed to the media player itself.
We didn't have high expectations for Zoom Player Free after this confusing introduction, but we were pleasantly surprised by how attractive and professional-looking the interface is. It's definitely not the most intuitive thing we've seen, but after a bit of poking around we determined that we had to add media to the playlist in order to play it; we found out later that we could also drag and drop media onto the interface. If you want to get deep into Zoom Player Free's features there's a whole series of tutorial videos available on YouTube, and for good reason; Zoom Player Free is capable of all kinds of things, including video editing, ringtone creation, and multimonitor video playback.
Unfortunately, none of this is obvious from the interface itself, and users will have to put some effort into figuring out what Zoom Player Free is capable of. Although it touts itself as being easy even for beginners to use, we disagree with this assessment; Zoom Player Free is much more likely to appeal to advanced users who like to geek out with their media.
Zoom Player Home Free - They say the best things in life are free, and Zoom Player Home FREE life delivers. The most powerful media player for the Windows PC, giving ultimate control over your media viewing experience. Featuring : Free for personal, non-commercial use. No bloat, intuitive & user-friendly design. Install Center application, capable of detecting and securely installing up-to-date decoders and missing system components to improve stability and versatility. Media Center navigation interfaces with easy to use (Up/Down/Left/Right/Select) controls. 10-Band Equalizer with Digital PreAmp and Presets. DVD Playback from Disc, Hard Drive or network connection. Powerful, category based Media Library interface. Remember/Resume from last media position. popular formats are supported : H.264, XVID, DIVX, DVD, FLV, WMV, QuickTime, MPEG 1/2/4, MP3, AAC, DTS, Dolby Digital, FLAC and many more.
Zoom Player is the most Powerful, Flexible and Customizable Media Player application for the Windows PC platform. Based on our highly-touted Smart Play technology, more media formats play with less hassle, improved stability and greater performance. Behind Zoom Player's classic media player look, hides a powerful Media Center application designed with a simple 5-Key (up/down/left/right/select) fullscreen navigation interface. The 5-Key system provides simple navigation with advanced interfaces. Interface such as the Media Library, File Browser, Playlist, Color Control, Audio Equalizer, Bookmarks, Play History and many more. Zoom Player's media center simplicity makes it ideal for users with no previous computer experience.
With Zoom Player, you can instantly Convert any PC into a Home Entertainment Center (HTPC) with no specialized hardware requirement or operating system. Zoom Player runs with every version of Windows.
What's new in this version: 1. New 'Slate' fullscreen navigation style and default background images. 2. A new scheduling interface. 3. Enhanced fullscreen navigation usability. 4. Support for Color Controls using MadVR. 5. Enhanced API for remote scheduling and playlist creation. 6. Improved detection of multi-part media files and image sequences. 7. Enhanced support for partially downloaded media files. 8. Many bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Establish a Home Entertainment Center environment on your PC.
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Play all types of audio or video files existing.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Play your multimedia files with an extra light player.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Play Blu-ray disc/folder/ISO image files, 1080p HD videos, AVCH...
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Play audio and video files with this cross-platform player.
- Back up media to Blu-ray discs and access your media via HTTP p...
- Add watermarks to your videos.
- Convert MTS and other popular video/audio files to any video an...
- Play movies with AC3 and DTS audio tracks.
- Convert MKV videos to AVI, WMV, FLV, MP4 for playback on popula...
- Create online presentation, tutorial, product demo and quiz in ...
- Convert all video/audio formats with high definition and top sp...
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Unify the filter packs provided by several groups into a single...
- Convert any formats video to iPad, iPhone, AVCHD, Blu-Ray, DVD.
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"I love it!"
Version: Zoom Player Free 8.6.1
Plays literally ALL audio and video formats (that I know of).
8 pages worth of skins to choose at Inmatrix.com.
Includes it's own codec install center in which one can choose which codecs to install.
None, as far as I'm concerned.
I've been using Zoom Player for years. It's simply the best.
"Not user friendly - at all!"
Version: Zoom Player Free 8.6.1
Doesn't seem to be a virus.
I only had it installed for 10 minutes. Couldn't figure out how to play a standard DVD!
Tried their "Pro" version for $19.99. I just wanted something with greater compatibility than Windows Media Player. It didn't even do this simple thing right - I bailed immediately.
Also; when I tried the free Zoom Player, it installed an AVG thing without even asking (that conflicted with my Symantec AV).
I went with Zoom Player because it got high marks on some "top 10 review site" that, BTW, doesn't allow users to write reviews.
I removed it and paid $59 for PowerDVD Ultra. Paid a little more and its probably an overkill but I'm happy so far.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content