CNET Editors' review
With numerous compilation CD imports and mislabeled YouTube converts, your music library can quickly become a mess, and once in a while, it's good to get your hands dirty and bring some order back to your chaotic audio files. With many useful features and only some minor quirks, Yate for Mac can help you tag and organize your audio files the right way.
Yate for Mac proposes a more classic approach to tagging and organizing your audio files. You directly drop your files from iTunes or from the finder into the program's interface, and from there you can edit pretty much any ID3 tag or add lyrics, cover art, etc. There is a Help file to familiarize you with every possibility offered if you have particular tagging needs. The software delivers what it promises, but not without quirks. On multiple occasions we experienced error windows and subsequent file closing. Fortunately, the errors seemed irrelevant, as our changes were always saved as planned. The artwork finder didn't prove very ergonomic to use, either. There is an option to modify multiple files at once and you can even access some rather useful conditional formatting functions to remove and insert text at specified locations. Frequent users will appreciate the ability to customize the toolbar to get quick access to more actions, too.
Apart from some confusing errors, Yate for Mac offers enough features to satisfy most of your tagging needs, from seasonal cleaning to frequent tagging. Don't expect a fully automated and perfectly smooth workflow, though.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Yate for Mac 22.214.171.124.
Yate was developed for people who are serious about tagging and organizing their audio files. The application was designed from the ground up for Mac users. It is a 100% Cocoa written application and uses its own tagging library. Yate will tag mp3, m4a and FLAC files. Yate has a long list of features, including an innovative scripting system called actions. The app also supports integration with Discogs, MusicBrainz and iTunes. All of your settings, customization and user defined components can be exported for backup or for sharing with other users. This is especially great when creating your own actions which then allows you to share them with other users. Other features include; handles multiple artwork items; supports drag in and drag out of artwork; drag artwork in from the web, any image file, any file containing a png or jpg image and from iTunes; artwork can be saved to files, folder.jpg or to the containing folder's icon; supports multiple values per field where permitted; supports multiple fields of the same type where permitted; customizable FLAC mappings; change indicator to show which files have changed; changes can be reverted to the last saved version; tracks can be added to iTunes and repairs broken file links in iTunes. There is very little in the ID3 specification that Yate does not implement. Yate functions seamlessly with iTunes enabling users to both import and export data such as playcount and rating in either direction. The ability to create user definable actions is a feature that really sets Yate apart from other taggers. We feel as though this feature will create a great online forum for sharing and discussing actions between users. Yate is intended for someone who is serious about tagging and organizing their audio files. This kind of individual wants their data the way they want it. It's their music collection and we strive to let them do whatever they want, however they want.
More Products to Consider
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Rip, convert, burn, and play MP3, WMA, FLAC, MIDI, WAV, M4A, AA...
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Convert your videos simple and easy.
- Stream music from any application to Airport Express base stati...
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- A beautifully designed music player.
- Concatenates multiple audio files, such as MP3s, into iTunes au...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Batch file renamer with droplets.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Sort, organize, copy and backup files and folders with a single...
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Listen to MPEG Layer 3 encoded audio with this speedy little pl...
- Convert WMA, WMV files to MP3 format.
- Automate ripping and encoding CD tracks as MPEG-4 audio files.
- Record audio output from any app or hardware plugged into your ...
- Digital video editing system.
- Music creation and audio production.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"As advertised and more! What's w the CNET review?"
Version: Yate 126.96.36.199
Highly flexible tag editor
Not a steep learning curve and yet satisfies folks who are anal about their tagging
Provides a ton of features to simplify management of large collections
Developers are great and very responsive
Highly affordable for what you get with the software
the sheer number of features could be overwhelming for the novice (but there is good help)
It's the best out there, certainly the best on the Mac, full-featured, great support.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content