CNET Editors' review
Screensavers and automatic screen economy modes are certainly not new. If you wish to have more choices, however, XScreenSaver for Mac offers the perfect solution.
On opening, XScreenSaver for Mac offers a long list of screensaver files and a single readme file. If you currently run on the recommended system quarantine mode, which will only let you install Apple-approved programs, you might have to cut and paste the terminal commands found in the readme file. The start isn't great, but the rest is. From there you can simply double-click the screensavers and they will install. You can open System Preferences so that you can fully preview them. If you don't plan to install all 200 included screensavers, you can visit the developer's Web site and check a static preview of the whole collection. Of course, it takes much of the fun away of testing each one on a dynamic configuration, but it is a faster approach. The available screensavers are both beautiful and variant. A lot of them, however, will appeal to the more tech-savvy crowd such as programmers, developers, gamers, etc. There are abstract fractal variations, dynamic 3D landscapes, green letters falling matrix-style, geometric objects, self-solving mazes, sonar, and Pac-Man game, etc.
XScreenSaver for Mac offers a large screensaver pack and suits anyone looking for a classic screensaver, especially -- but not only -- more tech-savvy users.
From Jamie Zawinski:
This is the official MacOS X port of XScreenSaver, the standard screen saver collection on most Linux/Unix systems. Over 200 screen savers are included.
What's new in this version: More auto-updater tweaks.
More Products to Consider
- Realistic 3D fish swim around your desktop.
- Display your screensaver as your desktop background.
- Travel through a tunnel on your desktop with configurable color...
- View a near-real-time high-resolution image of Earth on your de...
- Like Berkeley's old After Dark.
- Screensaver runs QuickTime & Flash movies.
- Add a clock screensaver with real-time minutes dropped into wat...
- Watch the Matrix code in 3D.
- Place a beautiful water effects as your desktop's screensaver.
- Turn your OS X desktop into a realistic-looking 3D aquarium.
- Run a screensaver as a desktop picture.
- Displays black screen with transparency.
- An uplifting screensaver to put you in a good mood.
- Watch the Matrix code on your screen.
- Realistic 3D marine fish aquarium screen saver.
- Save your screen with amazing images taken by the Hubble Space ...
- Dancing light screensaver.
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Holiday screensavers.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Infest your Mac with Bugs.
- Updates 9.1-9.2 to 9.2.1 for G3s or higher.
- Dive into the ocean on your desktop.
- Translucent analog clock for those who miss it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: