CNET Editors' review
WhereIsIt Portable is a simple database tool for cataloging, searching, and accessing your computer media such as CD-ROMs, DVDs, audio CDs, disk drives, floppies, network drives, or any media that Windows recognizes as a drive, even those not currently attached to your system. So if you have CD-ROMs full of archived data or a terabyte's worth of movies on a removable hard drive, you can find what you need quickly with WhereIsIt instead of accessing and searching each archived disk separately. Since it's completely portable, it will run from thumbdrives and other removable storage devices on any Windows machine.
We started with WhereIsIt Portable by creating catalogs of our media and data via a simple, wizard-based process. The New Catalog pop-up let us choose a blank catalog or one based on a template or other catalog; we chose a blank archive, which appeared in the left-hand Catalogs and Categories panel. Having created and named our catalog, we added data by clicking Disk Image and making our selections from the set-up dialog, which offered options for Folder Limitations, Active Plugins, and Troubleshooting in addition to settings for compressed files, CRC codes, and other parameters. WhereIsIt doesn't back up or archive data; it just catalogs where it's stored, so it works very quickly. We found that it's a good idea to gather up all your CD-ROMS, floppies, and other stored data before you start cataloging and do it all at once, if possible. It's easy to search, add, remove, and edit entries and whole catalogs, add pictures, configure Lending and Borrowing disks, and more from the well-designed toolbar. Clicking the WhereIsIt icon opens an Explorer-like start panel giving access to basic controls, recently accessed catalogs, and other useful items.
If you've been through a PC or two and saved your data in each upgrade, your stuff may be scattered across several drives and disks. Use WhereIsIt Portable to catalog it all, though, and you'll be able to locate that file of vacation photos or the copy of that warranty registration form you remember saving, and without loading, searching, and removing each disk in the future. Just be sure you don't lose track of the disks themselves!
An application written for 32-bit Windows operating systems, designed to help you maintain and organize a catalog of your computer media collection, including CD-ROMs, audio CDs, diskettes, removable drives, hard drives, network drives, DVDs, or any other media that Windows can access as a drive. The most basic goal for WhereIsIt is to provide access to the contents of any media you have from the cataloged database, even if the media itself is not available on the system - you can browse lists of files and folders, search by any criteria, use descriptions, thumbnails, categories.
What's new in this version: Version 2013 build 320 has Minor maintenance release.
More Products to Consider
- Organize a catalog of your computer media collection, including...
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Manage, edit, and share your photos.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Organize, annotate, and share your digital photos.
- Make people in your photos look nice.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Let your photo editing ambitions soar on the big screen.
- Find out why some video files don't work correctly on your syst...
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Capture and edit your images on PC.
- Add support for over 270 new programs into CCleaner.
- Add Digital bookmarks and protect your photos.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Manage, change, and compare files and folders.
- Local/remote data archiving utility for Windows. Ideal for Zip,...
- Convert your text to word cloud picture.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Handle all popular digital audio tags formats.
- Recover deleted or damaged FAT partitions.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content