CNET Editors' review
Vocabulary .NET is a free tool designed to help users learn new words and new languages. It incorporates Google Dictionary and TTS, and it comes with an English dictionary, though you can import dictionary files as well as create, edit, and export your own custom dictionaries. It's completely portable, which enhances its educational value, but it requires Microsoft .NET to run. While Vocabulary .NET's basic version is free, you must obtain a commercial license to use all its features, including bilingual translation.
Some of Vocabulary .NET's definitions seem highly questionable. For instance, the two definitions for "bath" are a verb, "Wash (someone) while immersing him," and a noun, "an ancient Hebrew liquid measure." Neither defines the English word "bath." Far more troubling to us are the occasional "vulgar" and "offensive" (their words) examples provided; that's something that smacks of poor preparation and also has the potential to offend whole swaths of would-be users. Quite a few of the illustrations don't fit the definitions, either, and sometimes for reasons as questionable (or alarming) as the definitions. For example, the cartoon illustrating the word "quite" read "Quiet, please," while the entry for "someone" rather alarmingly depicts a man, apparently "someone important," pointing a handgun. Most seem to have been grabbed off the Internet, sometimes haphazardly. The dictionary really cans one example: the definition for "coke" describes the fuel-making process but depicts an iconic product that we're fairly sure is the copyrighted trademark of a well-known beverage company. Of course, you can edit each entry, but that seems like a tedious workaround that would do little to address our general doubts about Vocabulary .NET's reliability and accuracy, especially in languages we're not yet familiar with but might like to learn.
Vocabulary .NET's user interface is a bit clunky, too, with a very basic flash-card-style layout that's difficult to browse. We've seen worse vocabulary tools, but we've seen better ones by far. The questionable definitions and illustrations certainly raise eyebrows. But the inexplicable and inexcusable inclusion of wholly inappropriate language in an educational program aimed in part at children makes this decision easy: see "Avoid."
From fish's dotNET:
Vocabulary .NET is a tool that helps you learning multi-language vocabulary. Integrate Google Dictionary, TTS and Images so that you can create, edit, and take practice tests easier. A standalone tool that does not require installation.
What's new in this version: Version 3.6 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Point the cursor at a word to translate it.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Translate among ten European languages.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Learn to speak Chinese with good pronunciation and rich everyda...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Translate words between Azerbaijani and English.
- Translate words between English and Bengali.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search for and translate definitions for English, French, Spani...
- Translate Web contents, chat, and documents between English and...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Translate words between English and Italian language.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Translate words between English and Polish language.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Translate words between English and Portuguese.
- Translate Russian words and phrases into English with multiple ...
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content