CNET Editors' reviewThis program helps strengthen your vocabulary in preparation for a variety of exams. After installation, Vocaboly prompts you to choose whether you're taking the TOEFL, the GMAT, the SAT, the GRE, or the VOA Special English. The clear and direct interface lists all your study options on the main window's left side. We were impressed by the number of ways Vocaboly can help you learn. For example, you can have words and meanings randomly tick across your screen, take a multiple-choice test, spell words when given their definitions, and play several games. The only complaint we have is that the app's speech engine failed to work when we asked it to pronounce a word. You can study the app's entire database of words at once, or you can choose to concentrate on specific sections. Although the trial version doesn't let you access the program's entire word list, we think Vocaboly will assist a wide range of users studying for a number of tests.
From Vocaboly Software:
Vocaboly is an award-winning vocabulary builder for SAT, TOEFL, GRE, and GMAT tests and for general vocabulary building. Vocaboly contains five books--SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, and VOA Special English--with 12,000 words, each provided with meaning, phonetic symbol, and pronunciation. You can select a book according to your purpose and English level, and you can create your own books and enjoy all the creative features. Each book contains eight flash cards for focusing on specified words. Each word can be assigned to a difficulty level of 0 to 5. Each user has his or her own study record and software setting, which is saved automatically when you quit the program. Study methods include a word ticker, recall, spelling, listening, multiple choice, memory game, and a Star Wars game.
What's new in this version: Version 3.0 adds lesson support--now you can easily define lessons when create new books.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Prepare yourself for SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT and LSAT exams.
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Prepare for GRE and GMAT tests.
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Remember GRE words of Chinese Red Bible.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get help in learning foreign languages using a unique and fun m...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Expand the size and level of your English vocabulary.
- Develop knowledge of French language and vocabulary through vis...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Learn and improve your English vocabulary by listening to spoke...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Save your man from being hanged by guessing a word.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Cool software but super costly"
Version: Vocaboly 3.0
The games and test are great and are a helpful tool studying for various exams.
Price, no cheaper option for just one test.
Great software but whether you're only studying for one type of an exam or all - the cost of the same and it's pretty steep. After trying the shareware, I'd be happy to pay 20-25 bucks for something like this. But at $80 it's just not worth it. There are many free websites and resources for these exams and while vocaboly is cooler than most of its competitors, I can't bring myself to pay so much for it. I can't imagine many would.
"A must for all those preparing for GRE, GMAT and others"
Version: Vocaboly 3.0
Good, Simple, Concise and wide no. of words 2 learn
I've not found any major cons that could effect its effectiveness.
Try it once before considering any other costly software.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: