CNET Editors' review
With so many music management tools out there, why isn't there one that's not flashy or pushy but instead emphasizes versatility and performance? There is, and it's called Toolsoft Audio Manager. This freeware sports an intuitive, Explorer-like interface and support for nearly any digital audio format you can name, plus many video formats, as well as the ability to manage large libraries of files in a familiar environment.
In a sea of iTunes wannabes and slick, dark interfaces, Toolsoft's strong resemblance to a native Windows feature will be welcomed by many. Aside from a media player beneath the main window, it's basically standard-issue Explorer, with a tree view in an expandable left-hand panel and a gridded main pane. Toolsoft's advantage is in handling and managing a wide range of audio formats, including AAC and AAC+, OGG, and lossless APE, FLAC, and TTA. Its widespread compatibility with existing music collections means no need for large-scale file conversions and no hunting for codecs online. The Explorer-style interface seems ideal for widely dispersed music collections. We simply browsed to a directory and clicked through to the appropriate file. Right-clicking individual files let us open its ID3 tag as well as copy, delete, or rename it. When we played a file, its name, counter, and other data appeared in yellow inside a black rectangle, a nice look that doesn't violate Toolsoft's muted approach. The only item on the Options menu is Input Format, which let us configure the sample rate, bits per sample, and number of channels (1-6) for raw PCM digital audio. The Web-based Help file was a work in progress and unavailable to us, but the program's HTML-based log files opened inside our browser, which seems like an efficient setup.
If you've been looking for a compact, versatile music organizer that doesn't take over your files, libraries, and playlists like some bulky well-known (or in some quarters, notorious) programs that shall remain nameless, and you like to manage your libraries based on their actual locations in Windows as much as the ability to play all kinds of files, try Toolsoft Audio Manager.
Toolsoft Audio Manager is a music organizer software to manage APE FLAC OGG WMA MP3 WAV (IMA ADPCM, ALAW, ULAW) Raw PCM AAC M4A M4R eAAC+ AAC+ AU AIF AMR AWB VOC RA AC3 TTA MPC CDA (CD) MP1 MP2 G721 G726 VYF MOV 3GP LPCM VOB (DVD) MP4 M4V RM RMVB WMV ASF MPG DAT (VCD) FLV AVI. Toolsoft Audio Manager features: Helping you to manage music files by this convenient Explorer-like user interface, very easy to use. Copying, cutting, deleting, renaming files, and creating folders. Sorting by File name, Title, Artist, Length, Type, Quality, Size and Date Modified. Highlighting file formats with colors. ID3 Tag edit for MP1, MP2, MP3, WMA files. Exporting file list. Raw PCM manager. AC3 (Dolby Audio Coding 3) manager. MP1, MP2, MP3 music organizer. Nokia eAAC+, AAC+ music organizer. Manage AAC, M4A, MP4 (MPEG-4 audio). Organize AU, aif/aiff. Organize RA, RM, RMVB. Ogg manager. Manage 3GP video, MPG (MPEG-1/2 Video), VOB (DVD), DAT (VCD), quicktime MOV, iPod M4V, FLV. AMR, AWB (AMR-WB) organizer. WAV (IMA ADPCM, ALAW, ULAW) management. Organize MPC, G721, G726, VOC. Organize lossless APE, FLAC, TTA. Manage WMA, WMV, ASF. Playback modes: repeat, sequence and loop. Full support for VBR (XING, VBRI). Manage 24bit/32bit 4/6-channel High Definition Audio (HD).
What's new in this version: enhanced cd reading for Windows 7
More Products to Consider
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Manage, cleanup, sort and join music collections.
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert your videos into self-running executable files.
- Download Web sites for offline viewing.
- Convert video files from one format into another.
- Play FLV videos without Flash authoring and development tools.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Record and playback a series of keyboard and mouse actions.
- Split and merge various files.
- Convert images into different formats.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Simple, effective music file management"
Version: Toolsoft Audio Manager 1.71
Really simple (almost too simple) interface; though, after using bloatware such as MediaMonkey and Foobar, it's simplicity is refreshing. I use it in conjunction with Spotify, which makes a simple and easy pairing.
Almost too simple. There are no (seeming) ways to customize anything, save for the details shown about each track. However, when you have a large library, as I do (in excess of 22,000 tracks) simple can be better.
I'd love some additional features. I believe there is an upgraded version available at some cost, but I've not explored it fully. However, if it is as easy and "light" as this one is, I just might fork over some cash.