From Karoly Pados:
Designed to harden and control the advanced firewall built into Windows, TinyWall includes a combination of features that sets it apart from both commercial and freeware firewalls.
TinyWall does not display popups that "urge users to allow". In fact, it will not notify you of any blocked action. Rather than displaying popups, TinyWall allows users to whitelist or unblock programs via various methods. For example, you can just initiate whitelisting by a hotkey, then click on a window that you want to allow. Or, you can select an application from the list of running processes. (Of course, the traditional way of selecting an executable also works.)
This approach avoids popups but still keeps the firewall very easy to use. It will also limit the list of unblocked programs to those that the user really needs, which is optimal from a security standpoint.
TinyWall gives Windows Firewall a sane and secure configuration and presents you with a simple interface where you can easily define what has network access and what not, while preventing other programs from modifying or overwriting your firewall settings.
- TinyWall lets you work while protecting you. There are no annoying popups but configuration is very simple.
- Using the advanced Windows Firewall built into newer Windows versions, TinyWall's performance impact is negligible.
- No drivers or kernel-components are installed so it does not influence system stability.
- Automatic learning, blocklists, password lock, firewall tampering protection and built-in tight firewall rules help increase TinyWall's and your computer's security even further.
- Firewall modes and lots of other convenience features make TinyWall extremely easy to use for anybody.
- All packed into a download that is about a megabyte.
What's new in this version:
Version 2.1 incorporates a large number of stability, usability and security enhancements, as well as improves support for Windows 8.
- All previously reported issues fixed.
- Removed automatic network zone switching.
- Enhanced support for Windows 8 and Metro applications.
- Multi-user/multi-session support.
- New Dutch, German, Hungarian, Spanish and Russian translations.
- Better authen...
See all new features »