CNET Editors' review
Vista Software's TinyTask is a neat, little macro recorder that can automate just about any process or sequence of actions on your PC. It not only records and saves macros but also compiles them, turning your recorded macros into executable programs. At just 33KB, TinyTask truly is tiny. It's portable freeware for Windows that doesn't need to be installed; just extract the program and click it to run it from any folder or drive, including portable storage devices such as USB thumb drives.
TinyTask's user interface is tiny, too, with a slim window displaying six icons: Open, Save, Record, Play, Compile, and Options, which include playback speed, hot keys, and the ability to remember settings in INI files. The Help file is actually a Quick Start guide listing shortcut keys, but that's about all you need since TinyTask is extremely easy to use: Press "Record," do something on your PC, stop the recording, and press "Play." TinyTask will repeat whatever you just did, whether it's open a file, folder, or program; navigate to a Web site; or more elaborate sequences. Click "Save" and name the recording to run it later. If your media player tried to play TinyTask's REC files, just right-click the file, select "Open With," and browse to TinyTask's program file.
We pressed Tiny Task's "Rec" button, browsed to a music file, right-clicked it, and selected "Play." We pressed "Rec" again to stop the recording, and then named and saved our macro. We closed our media player, browsed to our macro recording, and clicked TinyTask's "Play" button. Our cursor traveled across the screen by itself, opened the folder, and played our music file. Turning our REC file into an EXE was even easier: Press "Compile" and save the file as an executable: That's all there is to it. We saved our newly created program to the desktop and clicked it. Our macro executed the same series of steps in the original recording. TinyTask is small but effective and recommended for anyone who wants to automate computer actions.
From Vista Software:
TinyTask provides quick and easy automation by recording and playback. It is a case study in minimalist programming. Turn your recordings into standalone programs. You can open, record, and compile the recordings on PC.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Open files, record, play media, and compile them on your PC.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Increase PC volume above maximum.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Create your own music and sound effects.
- Get a program that cleans your PC for free.
- Bring High Definition sound to YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, Pandor...
- Change your voice and add sound effects to games and voice chat...
- Power off or restart automatically by just setting the timer.
- Create and edit tablatures for instruments of 4, 6, or 7 string...
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Control, clean, and customize your audio in film, video, and Ad...
- Display the current date and time.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:3.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"What I've Been Looking For"
Version: TinyTask 1.50
A simple program to record macros that works.
If you move anything on the screen, like bookmarks, that are included in the macro, you have to re-record.
I open a multitude of websites every morning using two different browsers. I've been trying to automate the process for years. This did the trick. I hit the record button and go through the process, compiled it and saved it. Then I attached it to a keyboard key. Now, I hit the keyboard key and everything opens automatically. I love it.
"Very Cool And Useful Little Program!"
Version: TinyTask 1.50
This is a very small, fast and light stand alone program (no install or uninstall required).
So very easy to use. I did it right my very first try and didn't need help or anything. It's very intuitive.
It just works and it's free!!!!
The UI is very small. I would have otherwise easily given it 5 stars rather than 4.
This is soooo cool!!! I recorded myself changing a Windows Theme. I then saved it as an executable. Using task scheduler, I scheduled it for the time of year I wanted it to activate. Now all my Windows Themes are scheduled to change this way. That was my first project and I've got plenty more ideas. There is no better program I have found to automate simple ordinary task. I recommend this to anybody who needs automation software, or just wants to play a little.
"Not very useful"
Version: TinyTask 1.50
ease of record.
Compiled recordings (.exe) will not playback mouse clicks. The cursor moves around, but if it is clicking on what was recorded, it's not doing so when the .exe file is run.
pretty useless without operational .exe
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content