CNET Editors' review
TeamViewer is a free tool that makes it incredibly easy to set and use a VPN connection; a Virtual Private Network that lets you take complete control of another PC from your own computer, whether they're separated by a soda can or a continent (and as long as both machines are running TeamViewer). It enables two-way connections in which users can flip control back and forth. TeamViewer also lets you hold virtual meetings with multiple participants (again, they all must have TeamViewer installed). With a name like TeamViewer, you'd expect it to be an enterprise-ready tool, and you'd be right: TeamViewer's robust simplicity is what happens when multiple users of vastly different skills need to use software. After a while, the bugs get squashed pretty firmly. But TeamViewer is free to non-commercial users. That means you can use it to access your work and home PCs remotely, of course. But you can also install it on your mom's PC (for example) and provide tech support from home.
We installed and opened TeamViewer on two Windows 7 PCs; one a 64-bit desktop, the other a 32-bit netbook. TeamViewer provides a user name and password for each machine. You simply need to enter each machine's numbers in the other to create a connection. The host PC's screen displays the remote PC's desktop in a window, and the host machine's mouse and keyboard control the remote PC's counterparts. We could open folders, files, and programs; run processes; and change settings: anything we could do with the remote machine's own controls, we could do from our main PC's controls, too, with TeamViewer. We tried the Meeting tool, too, but since we had TeamViewer installed on just two PCs, our pool of invitees was a bit small. TeamViewer offers some useful options; for instance, you can limit it to file transfers if you don't need total control.
TeamViewer is simply the easiest tool of its type we've used, and a far cry from the VPN apps of not so long ago. And it can cut down on the phone tag when friends and family need tech support!TeamViewer - Control computers remotely - Download Video Previews:
TeamViewer is a solution for remote control, desktop sharing, and file transfer that works behind any firewall and NAT proxy. To connect to another computer just run TeamViewer on both machines without the need of an installation procedure. With the first start automatic partner IDs are generated on both computers. Enter your partner's ID into TeamViewer and the connection is established immediately.
What's new in this version:
- Open multiple connections in different tabs
- Wake-on-LAN with TeamViewer
- Protect your TeamViewer account with two factor authentication
- Ready for Windows 8.1
- Save customized customer modules
- Copy and paste files, images, and text via the clipboard
- Optimized video
More Products to Consider
- Share your desktop with another person via the Web.
- Turn your laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Find and scan all computers on your network and get easy access...
- Setup a WiFi hotspot or wireless router on your Windows compute...
- Perform scans on predefined port ranges.
- Connect automatically to free WiFi networks.
- Control computers on your network as if you were there.
- Share your Internet on your laptop over WiFi.
- Optimize your wireless network's channel and signal strength.
- Extend LAN-like networks securely to distributed teams, mobile ...
- Surf anonymously at full broadband speed.
- Send and receive data on Telnet, SSH, Rlogin, and Raw protocols...
- Access blocked web sites via anonymous proxy.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Turn any computer with Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 i...
- Get notified when your servers and PCs stop working.
- Forward data between serial ports and establish communication.
- Use pure ARP to detect IP/MAC address, and control/change mac, ...
- Monitor and display information associated with each running pr...
- Take full control over RAR and ZIP archives, along with unpacki...
- Turn your PC into a mobile hotspot.
- Monitor, report, and alert on the availability and performance ...
- Upload and download files to your FTP resource.
- Query and control remote servers or other connected network dev...
All versions:4.6 stars
out of 820 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1