CNET Editors' review
One of our major complaints about PC-based task lists is that such programs are fine when you're in front of the PC, but not available when you're out and about or on another machine. For this reason, we favor Internet-based task managers, but Task Coach Portable is another solution to this problem. This lightweight application is, as the name would imply, designed to be portable, making it easy to carry with you on a USB drive or other portable device.
The program's interface is plain and intuitive, and Task Coach Portable actually packs a surprising number of features. It's easy to create tasks and specify their priority and due dates. The program also has a progress meter, a tool for tracking how much time has been spent on a particular task, a budget tracker, and the ability to add notes and attachments. Tasks can also have subtasks, which make it easy to keep track of all the little details that go into a big project. Color-coding is another feature that makes it easy to organize tasks by topic or urgency. The program's built-in Help file is well-written and thorough. Overall, we think that Task Coach Portable is a nice way to keep track of your to-do list in a portable format; it's not going to persuade us to abandon our Internet-based task list, but it's a great option for users who need a way to keep their tasks handy that's not Internet-dependent.
Task Coach Portable is free. It installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program to all users.
Task Coach Portable is the Task Coach packaged as a portable app, so you bring your to-do list and task manager with you so you always stay on top of things. You can place it on your USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive or a CD and use it on any computer, without leaving any personal information behind.
What's new in this version: Version 1.3.29 has added a feature to display a few days of previous and next month in the calendar popup and fixed bug on category filter menu on Windows 7.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Organize your schedule and provide reminders of upcoming events...
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
- Manage your mobile phone through a PC.
- Turn off, log off, and restart your computer on specified time.
- View tasks with due dates and mark completed ones.
- Monitor the clipboard and keeps track of its entries.
- Remind yourself of your friend's birthday with this tool.
- Open over 100 different file extensions including DOCX, PPTX an...
- Record timesheets and manage your tasks.
- Store your tasks and notes, set reminders, and print reports.
- Manage your personal tasks and todo list.
All versions:3.3 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Didn't live up to my expectations"
Version: Task Coach Portable 1.3.20
Being portable is its best feature. You can select colours, select font and add icons.
Adding tasks was too fiddly for me, I want something a bit more streamlined, but what really put me off it was that I couldn't find a way of ordering my categories or my tasks the way I wanted them, it puts everything in alphabetical order. I also didn't like the way you had to view a task's notes, like they were something separate; I expected a button to appear on a task when notes were added.
"Comprehensive but clumsy"
Version: Task Coach Portable 0.71.5
lots of gee-wiz features
I want to enter task, priority, category, notes by tabbing, not clicking around.
"Just what I was looking for"
Version: Task Coach Portable 0.69.1 Rv3
Portable and standalone - runs off USB stick.
Allows tasks AND subtasks!
Customisable tabs in interface.
Can save individual lists for different purposes (e.g. for work, projects, home etc).
Good printing options (inc print preview).
And it's free!
Couldn't find any
I was after a lightweight, portable utility to manage my task list, that I could run straight off my USB stick without needing to install anything. Also had to have nestable tasks - not a flat structure like a lot of the popular ones. I finally found everything I was after in this utility, after trying dozens of others. Well worth the search! Comes in at under 10MB extracted so will fit on the smallest of USB sticks. And does a much better job than many non-free task management utilities out there.