CNET Editors' review
System Lens for Mac allows you to keep an eye on applications that are currently running on your computer and the level of system resources they use. Its most useful feature, though, is the ability to instantly kill problematic apps that are using a high percentage of your Mac's resources.
System Lens for Mac installs directly in the Mac Menu Bar. The application functions as an intuitive task manager with a well-contrasted and streamlined interface. We ran this app while having multiple other applications active and all these displayed with their respective icons showing as either high, medium, or low processes currently active. This is nice if you only want a basic overview of resource usage. However, we definitely missed the option to check exactly just how much certain programs hog our system. Killing a program from the application's interface is accomplished with just a couple of clicks on the selected program. Advanced filtering options and settings, such as global cutoff limit and custom threshold limit, are available via the Settings menu. During our tests, the application performed well, displaying all running tasks on our Mac and killing each without a delay when selected. Since the application checks your CPU usage regularly, it does take up some of its own to operate. While we had it running, it constantly used around ten percent of our CPU.
System Lens for Mac's streamlined interface and reliable performance will be useful to any novice user looking for an easy way to quickly manage tasks and running apps. However, more advanced users may want to look for leaner running options.
From Aaron Ng:
System Lens is a simple way to quickly manage tasks and resource usage on your Mac.
- Easily check your system usage at a glance from the status bar.
- See which applications are heavily using resources.
- Quickly end programs you no longer want running.
- Highly customizable.
Click on the Menu Bar icon to bring up the System Lens panel which sorts all of your running applications by their amount of resource usage. From here, you can decide which applications you don't need open anymore and close them right from the Menu Bar. (Just make sure you save first!) System Lens is also feature packed: set filters, custom usage thresholds, customize your results and more!
What's new in this version: Speed optimizations & bugfixes.
More Products to Consider
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Data recovery software.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- Clean and speed up your Mac removing unnecessary files and appl...
- Speed Up (Defrag), Clean Up and Optimize Your Mac.
- Place an alarm clock on your desktop and use your audio files a...
- Multifunctional utility for Mac OS X.
- Quickly clear out unused files.
- Remove apps, data, and other unnecessary junk.
- Remove apps and related files via drag-and-drop.
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Clean up your Mac.