CNET Editors' review
System Lens for Mac allows you to keep an eye on applications that are currently running on your computer and the level of system resources they use. Its most useful feature, though, is the ability to instantly kill problematic apps that are using a high percentage of your Mac's resources.
System Lens for Mac installs directly in the Mac Menu Bar. The application functions as an intuitive task manager with a well-contrasted and streamlined interface. We ran this app while having multiple other applications active and all these displayed with their respective icons showing as either high, medium, or low processes currently active. This is nice if you only want a basic overview of resource usage. However, we definitely missed the option to check exactly just how much certain programs hog our system. Killing a program from the application's interface is accomplished with just a couple of clicks on the selected program. Advanced filtering options and settings, such as global cutoff limit and custom threshold limit, are available via the Settings menu. During our tests, the application performed well, displaying all running tasks on our Mac and killing each without a delay when selected. Since the application checks your CPU usage regularly, it does take up some of its own to operate. While we had it running, it constantly used around ten percent of our CPU.
System Lens for Mac's streamlined interface and reliable performance will be useful to any novice user looking for an easy way to quickly manage tasks and running apps. However, more advanced users may want to look for leaner running options.
From Aaron Ng:
System Lens is a simple way to quickly manage tasks and resource usage on your Mac.
- Easily check your system usage at a glance from the status bar.
- See which applications are heavily using resources.
- Quickly end programs you no longer want running.
- Highly customizable.
Click on the Menu Bar icon to bring up the System Lens panel which sorts all of your running applications by their amount of resource usage. From here, you can decide which applications you don't need open anymore and close them right from the Menu Bar. (Just make sure you save first!) System Lens is also feature packed: set filters, custom usage thresholds, customize your results and more!
What's new in this version: Speed optimizations & bugfixes.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Screen capture utility.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- Speed Up (Defrag), Clean Up and Optimize Your Mac.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Recovers photo, videos and music files efficiently.
- Data recovery software.
- Restore bmp, jpg, png, tif, mp3 files fast and accurately.
- File sharing app that makes it simple to manage, protect and sh...
- Recover your lost data.
- Clean and speed up your Mac removing unnecessary files and appl...
- Manage .DS_Store files, resource forks, trash, etc.
- Catalog your removable media.
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...