CNET Editors' review
We see a lot of audio converters, and there's really only so much that they can do to differentiate themselves from one another; we rarely see any that are particularly impressive. Switch Sound File Converter didn't do anything that blew us away in terms of design or features, yet this lightweight, uncluttered program won us over with its simplicity and ease of use.
The program's interface is quite basic and intuitive, with its features organized with well-labeled graphical buttons. Using the program couldn't be easier; users simply select the files they want to convert, choose the output format and destination folder, optionally adjust the encoder options, and Switch does the rest. Although the program only supports MP3 and WAV input formats, users can convert files to 21 different file types. The program has a few nice extras, including the ability to access the freeDB Internet Database for track listing information and the option to run Switch in the background if other programs are being used. Most impressively, users can configure the program to be accessible via right-clicking; up to three right-click options can be set, and then users need only right-click on an audio file within Explorer to select the desired output format and start the conversion. The program comes with an HTML Help file that is well-written and thorough. Overall, we found Switch to be extremely simple, suitable for even file conversion novices, but customizable enough to suit more advanced users.
Switch Sound File Converter is free. The program installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly. We recommend this program to all users.Switch Sound File Converter Plus - Convert audio files between multiple formats - Download Video Previews:
From NCH Software:
Switch Plus is a professional audio file converter for Windows. It can convert mp3, wav or wma audio file formats and more to the audio file format of your choice. Switch Plus audio file converter is very easy to use. Just add the files you want to convert to the list, select the format you want to use, and then click the convert button.
Switch Plus Features: Simple and intuitive interface. It converts a variety of different audio file formats (including WMA, AU, GSM and DSS formats) into MP3 or WAV format. Automatically normalize audio while converting ability to play tracks prior to conversion. Import and convert a play list (m3u and pls). MP3 encoder supports constant or variable bit rates from 8 to 320kbps with optional error correction and stereo modes.
What's new in this version: Version 4.52 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Convert your music files between popular audio formats.
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Record, edit, enhance, batch convert and burn audio files.
- Convert popular video/audio files to AAC, AC3, M4A, MP2, MP3, W...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert MIDI files to MP3, WAV, OGG, WMA formats.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Convert audio files from MP3,OGG,WMA to WAV or from WAV to MP3.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Edit voice and sound recordings on a Windows PC.
- Record audio from sound cards into multiple formats.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Convert MIDI files to MP3, WMA, OGG, and WAV format.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Convert and mix any sound file into large WAV.
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Convert audio formats between MP3, WMA, OGG, MP2, WAV( PCM, DSP...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 496 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"All I've needed, quick and reliable for years"
Version: Switch Audio File Converter Plus 4.52
I purchased Switch a years ago and have really appreciated that I didn't need to purchase upgrades. It's worked great and is all I've needed, I've never had any problems. Granted I have simple conversions and they usually have the same specs, so I don't even think about it anymore - just drag, click to convert and there they are where they should be, in the right format, in a few seconds. This has kept me sane.
Unfortunately, this software outlived my computer and I did need to upgrade that! My question, is I know you can only purchase this for one computer at a time, but is it transferable since I'm the same user? I still have my email with my registration code and I don't think I bought a site license (I'm not sure but since it's not mentioned in my confirmation email and I only had one computer at that time I'm assuming not). I don't want my registration to be blocked if I paste in my old number onto the new system (warning prompt in registration box)
I realize consumers would have to be on honor code if it's a purchase per user, but if it must be purchased with each download onto a computer, then I will need to purchase this again as I've used this for a long time and it's never failed me. Thanks!
"OK but what a rip off"
Version: Switch Audio File Converter Plus 4.52
Software does what it says on the tin, just about
Once you have had it for a couple of months you have to pay again for an upgrade.
There are other products as good that don't try to strip your wallet every few months