CNET Editors' review
Sweet Home 3D offers users a chance to see a remodeled room or a brand new home before a single nail has been driven. With a fairly simple premise and impressive results, this slightly flawed program is certainly something to get the imagination going.
The program's interface is very easy to use. The left side of the screen contains a file tree for every room in the house, and clicking on each room presents a list of all appropriate furniture you can drag into the adjacent box. The area is a grid with measurements corresponding to room size. Below the file tree is a space for each item in the room and its approximate size. At the bottom of the screen is a small box that provides the 3D view. Designing a room is very simple. By dragging furniture into the grid and positioning it as you envision your redesigned room, a clear picture appears below, providing an impression of space that two-dimensional sketches cannot. In addition, there is an exciting Virtual Visit option that lets you walk through your home and its rooms.
While the results of Sweet Home 3D were impressive, we were slightly disappointed with its control. Placing items in the room will take some patience, as it feels rather clunky. However, with a little practice, we are certain users will be able to use this free program to design something impressive.
Sweet Home 3D helps you to design your interior quickly and easily: draw the rooms of each level of your home upon the image of an existing plan, change the color or the texture of each room, and drag and drop furniture onto the plan from a catalog organized by categories (windows, doors, living room, kitchen), in which you can import 3D models created by yourself or downloaded from various Web sites. All the changes made in the 2D plan are simultaneously reflected in a 3D view, and you can navigate in it either from an aerial view point, or from a virtual visitor view point. Finally, you can improve your home plan by adding dimensions and texts to it, print it along with the 3D view, create a photorealistic image of the 3D view with customized lights, create a movie from a virtual path in the 3D view and export the plan to SVG format or the 3D view to OBJ format to import them in other 2D or 3D software. Sweet Home 3D is available in English, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Vietnamese languages.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed bugs that prevented the 3D view to be displayed when it was saved as detached, on one screen and multiples screens.
- Fixed a font issue that didn't display correctly Chinese text in the plan under Windows and Linux.
- Fixed a bug that prevented to elevate the camera in Sweet Home 3D Viewer applet.
- Fixed a bug that didn't initialize the Staircase check box in the furniture import wizard when an imported 3D model is modified.
- Fixed a bug that prevent... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- View AutoCAD DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings, save views to JPEG ima...
- Get started quickly and stay on track, whether you're creating ...
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Design your home in 3D vision.
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Import real-life photos of your house, and create new interior ...
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Design and print your own garden plan.
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Harmonize your dwelling place using ancient art of interior des...
- Design and create woodworking projects.
- Design, display, present, and realize all your building project...
- Design and maintain databases.
- Design your rooms per drag&drop in a fotorealistic 3D view.
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Draw designs for architects and engineers.
- Create 3D CAD designs and building structures using flash.
- Convert PDF documents to JPEG, BMP, PNG, and TIFF files easily.
- Design your own Web sites and applications using over 4590 grap...
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Design your rooms and plan your gardens.
- Generate sequence and call flow diagrams.
- Print, e-mail, and save your T-shirts designs all from your des...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 114 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"There is No free lunch..."
Version: Sweet Home 3D 4.3
Screenshots look sweet.
I cancelled installation as soon as the EULA screen came up with the words "open candy", so I didn't check if the software is as good as the screenshot looks.
I strongly recommend you NOT try this software!
"Better than some expensive programs"
Version: Sweet Home 3D 4.3
Easy and intuitive to use. Does enough for my needs without being overly complicated. Some programs may offer more options, ability to tweak, etc., but as a fairly sophisticated program with little learning curve, you can't beat this one.
None so far.
I can't believe this is a free program. They don't even harass the user with lots of ads or email to upgrade. This is an easy-to-use CAD program for those who want to play with floor plans and see 3D perspectives.