CNET Editors' review
Sweet Home 3D offers users a chance to see a remodeled room or a brand new home before a single nail has been driven. With a fairly simple premise and impressive results, this slightly flawed program is certainly something to get the imagination going.
The program's interface is very easy to use. The left side of the screen contains a file tree for every room in the house, and clicking on each room presents a list of all appropriate furniture you can drag into the adjacent box. The area is a grid with measurements corresponding to room size. Below the file tree is a space for each item in the room and its approximate size. At the bottom of the screen is a small box that provides the 3D view. Designing a room is very simple. By dragging furniture into the grid and positioning it as you envision your redesigned room, a clear picture appears below, providing an impression of space that two-dimensional sketches cannot. In addition, there is an exciting Virtual Visit option that lets you walk through your home and its rooms.
While the results of Sweet Home 3D were impressive, we were slightly disappointed with its control. Placing items in the room will take some patience, as it feels rather clunky. However, with a little practice, we are certain users will be able to use this free program to design something impressive.
Sweet Home 3D helps you to design your interior quickly and easily: draw the rooms of each level of your home upon the image of an existing plan, change the color or the texture of each room, and drag and drop furniture onto the plan from a catalog organized by categories (windows, doors, living room, kitchen), in which you can import 3D models created by yourself or downloaded from various Web sites. All the changes made in the 2D plan are simultaneously reflected in a 3D view, and you can navigate in it either from an aerial view point, or from a virtual visitor view point. Finally, you can improve your home plan by adding dimensions and texts to it, print it along with the 3D view, create a photorealistic image of the 3D view with customized lights, create a movie from a virtual path in the 3D view and export the plan to SVG format or the 3D view to OBJ format to import them in other 2D or 3D software. Sweet Home 3D is available in English, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Vietnamese languages.
What's new in this version: Version 4.0 brings the ability to customize furniture materials, to modify the color or texture of all the walls around a room, to create a set of photos at chosen points of view, and to automatically check updates.
More Products to Consider
- View DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings.
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- Import real-life photos of your house, and create new interior ...
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Design your home in 3D vision.
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Design, display, present, and realize all your building project...
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Design and print your own garden plan.
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Harmonize your dwelling place using ancient art of interior des...
- Make your CAD works in powerful DWG-compatible environment.
- Create, animate, and render 3D images on your PC.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Design and create woodworking projects.
- Draw designs for architects and engineers.
- Design and maintain databases.
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Design your rooms and plan your gardens.
- Create 3D CAD designs and building structures using flash.
- Create Adobe PDF files with the push of a button.
- Design your own Web sites and applications using over 4590 grap...
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 110 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Great features for price, stability needs improved;"
Version: Sweet Home 3D 4.0
The combination of floor plan, easy switch between floor plan & 3D was great. Importing of community designed furniture, etc. was fun. Really met my need to show my wife exactly what it was going to look like. Allowed for planning & demo. By in large, was pretty easy to use.
I loved the ability to put trees outside & see them through the windows/doors.
My #1 complaint was stability. Luckily I never lost anything and it didn't often require a complete system reboot, but I could count on it crashing at least once every time I used it.
I wish there was a more complete set of items; primary, like doors, windows, etc.
The feature of working with several floors was problematic. It needs a roof feature and a deck feature.
Dimensioning needs to be able to select a dimension and have an object move to fit the dimension. Dimensions DO associate with an object (snap to feature works well), but you should be able to choose the dimension and have IT place the object rather than having to try to enlarge the scale and move the object to match the dimension.
More external details would be nice.
The way of making the floors needs work. Having to establish "areas" seems awkward.
Bottom line, I couldn't find anything that was as easy to use, provided the kind of detail I needed that was cheap/free. I would have used it without the 3D, but that turned out to be VERY helpful. The problems were all workable and i ended up being able to do a lot with it.
"Excellent tool for the remodel or the dream home"
Version: Sweet Home 3D 4.0
I would reccommend this tool to anyone who is living in a home they wish to remodel or anyone considering building a home. There is enough input to have a beginner plan for constructing a home.
I found no cons in using this product at all.