CNET Editors' review
Spotify has been around for a good year and hasn't changed much; it's still one of our favorite applications for music on demand and music library management. Taking cues from iTunes, Spotify integrates your existing music libraries with its own giant catalog of songs from artists all over the world. Where it trumps iTunes is that all the music is pretty much available to stream for free, with offline functionality for an addition 10 bucks a month. In the in-app advertisements, claims like "Piracy is overrated" are quite justified; Spotify is seriously one of the most easiest ways to grab just about any song you can think of, and stellar for discovering new music.
And while we've already covered the highlights of the layout and the general functions of the service, Spotify has since then been pushing users to take advantage of its own app catalog to further enhance the playlist creation experience.
Apps are available from bigger names and sites like Billboard charts and well-known musicians, as well as discovery brands like Hype Machine help users discover new music from just about any genre. And while users can already explore curated lists from their synced friends via Facebook, Spotify apps are in some sense the company's response to address the need for more curated lists.
It's not surprising that the actual number of apps in the catalog is rather small, but then again there's really only so much you can do with music playlists. From our experience, most of the apps are centered around music discovery and suggestion, or syncing with well-known discovery sites like Hype Machine. They are interesting for a bit but few apps really add any new legitimate features or functions to the music listening experience, except just visual reorientations of artist spotlights. My personal favorite was simply the TuneWiki lyrics plugin; it basically turned my Spotify app into a makeshift karaoke so I can secretly sing and rap to myself at work. Other apps that were also interesting included Fuse, an app that highlights music of artists who make headlines or appear on the news.
Your favorited apps will follow you whenever you log onto Spotify, no matter what machine you're on.
If you're looking for a free, legal way to get all your favorite songs on your computer, stop living under a rock and download this now.
Spotify is a new way to enjoy music. Simply download and install, before you know it you'll be singing along to the genre, artist or song of your choice. With Spotify you are never far away from the song you want.
There are no restrictions in terms of what you can listen to or when. Forget about the hassle of waiting for files to download and fill up your hard drive before you get round to organising them. Spotify is instant, fun and simple.
Because music is social, Spotify allows you to share songs and playlists with friends, and even work together on collaborative playlists, Friday afternoon in the office might never be the same again! We're music lovers like everyone else.
More Products to Consider
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Digital video editing system.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Music notation with MIDI input & part extraction.
- Scheduling component for Radiologik DJ.
- Automated radio DJ assistant.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Make video calls to iPhone 4, the new iPod touch, or another Ma...
- Create multilayer audio loops with adjustments and effects.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Mix the music.
- Explore the web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Builds playlists based on the attributes of songs you pick.
- Download any song from soundcloud.com.
- Record any sound playing through sound card, microphone, or bot...
All versions:3.3 stars
out of 20 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Excellent audio, crazy algorithm."
Version: Spotify 0.9.6.81.gd359a796
The audio is strong and excellent quality. Plenty of bandwidth. Good variety.
No way to undo likes or dislikes. No way to delete "radio" stations. The algorithm is nuts; for instance, I created a Les Paul station and got about 50% rap music and a lot of hard blues. I gave the rap a hard down but kept getting more; the blues was not bad but when I gave it a thumbs up or two I rarely h
A work in progress.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: