CNET Editors' review
Shopworn expressions and trite phrases can spoil a piece of writing before it's finished, but even the best-turned phrase falls flat when it's overused. Bad Wolf's SmartEdit is a free tool that scans your writing to identify the words and phrases you've used and abused, not only giving you the chance to correct them but also pointing out your bad habits so that you can "nip them in the bud." It's not meant to replace your word processor but to help you in the editing and revision stages. It checks for common and overused words and phrases and also for sections of dialogue or phrases you designate. If you come up with a particularly colorful metaphor or turn of phrase, SmartEdit can prevent you from overusing it.
SmartEdit's subtitle promises to "speed up the editing process and catch mistakes early." A simple, compact interface with an efficient layout divided vertically into three sections makes a good start on keeping that promise. The program uses tabbed sidebars to either side of the main text window; on the left, Cliches and Dialog Tags; to the right, Repeated Phrases and Repeated Words. Each entry displays its own counter; for instance, under Cliches, a Count column tracks the number of times each cliche is used. Under the main view, SmartEdit displays Monitored Words and Sentences. The toolbar's Scan Options button let us configure our scans, while the Edit Lists button produced a dialog with tabs with lists of Monitored Words, Cliches, Dialog Tags, Ignored Phrases, and Ignored Words. We could easily add, edit, or delete entries. An Online Help link offered excellent resources, including advice for writers and demo videos.
SmartEdit is easy to use. We loaded a Text file (the program also opens RTFs) and ran the scan, which turned up no cliches but multiple repeated phrases. We could save our scan report as a text file, a useful feature that lets you return to previous checks without rescanning material. While SmartEdit is aimed chiefly at aspiring fiction writers, it can help any writer avoid bad writing and learn from his or her mistakes.
From Bad Wolf Software:
SmartEdit is an automated tool that scans your finished novel or your work in progress and highlights areas that might need closer attention. It runs five individual checks, such as highlighting words or phrases marked by you for monitoring, counting the different dialog tags you have used, and searching out over-used phrases, words and cliches. It's not a word processor--its sole purpose is to assist you when you edit your work, much like a grammar or spell checker. The results of a scan can be saved to an external file and referenced later when you are editing your work in MS Word or some other writing software.
What's new in this version: Version 2.001 is the first licensed version of SmartEdit. It contains numerous new features and checks, as well as a brand new, polished interface.
More Products to Consider
- Manage any mobile phone from the PC via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or ca...
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Eliminate your credit card debt and consumer loans using popula...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Transfer Phone Contacts, SMS, Photos, Call Log between Android,...
- Organize your schedule and provide reminders of upcoming events...
- Open over 100 different file extensions including DOCX, PPTX an...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Study the Bible on your computer.
- Learn and translate over 16,000 English words to Kurdish.
- Capture and analyze dump files.
- Translate English words into different languages.
- Manage your mobile phone through a PC.
- System tray application.
- Get collection of Western and Vedic astrological words.
- View, edit, search, and analyze HL7 files.
- Translate Web sites and text from any Windows application.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"It does really a good work,Clean and fast."
Version: SmartEdit 0.122
It does what tell that will do...no virus, clean software..
None...because as I wrote it wil do what it is supposed to do..
Easy tool...and really fast....
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content