CNET Editors' review
Three-dimensional models are essential if you're in the design field. Google SketchUp gives you the ability to easily create your own 3D models. With an easy-to-use interface and a wide swath of Help features, it's the perfect tool for beginner and intermediate designers alike.
To begin, Google SketchUp puts all of the help options in plain sight, which include video tutorials, tips and tricks, a blog, and a help center. It asks you to select a template from a long list that includes templates for architectural design, woodworking, Google Earth modeling, and basic plans. We started simple with the Beginning Training Template - Inches. The user interface is fairly basic in design, which is a good thing as some of these types of programs can be quite overwhelming. A toolbar at the top of the window includes the familiar menu options: Files, Edit, and View. There are also menu options to manage the Camera and Tools commands. A toolbox resides below with tools for creating and editing shapes, lines, and even adding building using Google Earth (you have to install the plug-in first). A helpful Instructor guided us through the setup process by creating simple lines going through each of the tools. In no time, we were creating shapes and designs, albeit very basic ones. The Tape Measure Tool let us measure our shapes, and the Eraser tool removed our mistakes.
Now, we may not be well versed in 3D design, but Google SketchUp proved simple enough for non-designers to jump right in and immediately create designs. We can't think of a better testament to its ease of use. Google SketchUp installs desktop icons without permission, but it uninstalls cleanly. We recommend this program for all people.
From Trimble Navigation:
Google SketchUp is a free, easy-to-learn 3D-modeling program with a few simple tools to let you create 3D models of houses, sheds, decks, home additions, woodworking projects, and even space ships. You can add details, textures, and glass to your models, and design with dimensional accuracy. You can place your finished models in Google Earth, share them with others by posting them to the 3D Warehouse, or print hard copies. Google SketchUp is a great way to discover if 3D modeling is right for you.
What's new in this version:
- Model geo-location with Google Maps: We've built Maps right into SketchUp. Adding a geo-location to your model is now an elegant, one-app process.
- Color imagery and more accurate terrain: The snapshot you get when you add a geo-location to your model now includes 3D terrain data that's more accurate, and--for the first time--aerial imagery in color.
- Match Photo improvements: Our Match Photo feature lets you trace one or more photographs to build a model; it's an incre... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- View DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings.
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Make your CAD works in powerful DWG-compatible environment.
- Draw the plan of your home and view the result in a 3D view.
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Design, display, present, and realize all your building project...
- Create, animate, and render 3D images on your PC.
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Show the graphical output of applications.
- View and print any graph produced by DPlot.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Create, preview, and manage mock-ups of your Web site, mobile a...
- Manipulate 2D and 3D data from a variety of sources.
- Test/adjust CRT & TFT monitors.
- Protect your PDF files with strong security.
- Review, mark up, and revise 2D and 3D designs.
- Convert PDF to most applications.
- Convert GIF files to video files.
- Customize your startup programs and boost up your computer spee...
- Visit virtually any place in the world.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 335 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Cnet Download came with malware attached."
Version: SketchUp 8.0.16846
don't know, computer infected with included malware
I downloaded this from cnet, and with the download came the sweetpak toolbar malware. still trying to get rid of it. don't download this.
"Greatly improved over earlier versions."
Version: SketchUp 8.0.16846
A user friendly arrangement of tools.
In giving the user an understanding of the basics, I would prefer to
see a straight to the point use of numbered steps in teaching the basics. Have on the screen immediately the best possible steps to
arrive at the shortest training cycle of basics.