CNET Editors' review
Many applications used to create diagrams and graphics are costly, especially for small businesses and individuals. Shapes for Mac's basic features leave much to be desired, but could work for some basic uses.
The program's free trial version restricts the ability to save created diagrams. To unlock the full version, a payment of $4.99 is required. While Shapes for Mac states it supports product updates, it does not appear that there is active technical support. Instructions were not available and would have been welcome, but some users will probably be able to work with the menus as designed. Users can create the desired diagrams by clicking on shape and line menus along the program's left side and dragging them into the main window. Digital photographs can also be placed into diagrams through a drag-and-drop option. These can be altered for shading and other basic changes, but there is no support for advanced editing. Unfortunately, the basic shape and line options lag behind other, more advanced drawing applications. During our testing, the program did function well and there did not appear to be any glitches or program bugs.
While functional, Shapes for Mac lacks many of the features of more advanced and useful drawing programs.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Shapes for Mac 3.2.2.
From Todd Ditchendorf:
Shapes is a simple, elegant Diagramming app for Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Shapes gives you all of the most important features you need in a Diagramming tool without all the extra cruft, and without breaking the bank. Shapes is great for Programmers and Web Designers looking for a simple tool for quickly designing Charts, laying out Wireframes, or visualizing Model Relationships. Shapes lets you get to work quickly by giving you just the basic tools you need in a slick, single-window, thoroughly Mac-native UI. Bonus: Shapes also offers Full-Screen Mode.
What's new in this version:
- FIX: Elipse objects correctly retain their rotation.
- FIX: Improved hit test behavior (selection via clicking) of Line objects with text.
- FIX: Shift dragging Line objects now produces straight lines.
More Products to Consider
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- Themeable GTD to-do list app with cloud sync.
- Track and monitor all your income and expenses quickly and easi...
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Save & organize any text you may want handy.
- Calendar which can contain styled text.
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Spoken-word transcription software.
- Screenshot tool with important features for frequent screen sho...
- Personal task management.
- Alternative to other mileage tracking apps that require recordi...
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Solve vibrant and colorful logic puzzles.
- Puts your calendar directly on your desktop, so it's always ava...
- Quickly create visually appealing mind maps.
- Programmers' text editor.
- Automatically encrypts, saves and syncs notes via Dropbox on th...
- Automate web browser actions, run tests on your own website.
- GUI for 21 unix tools.
- Outlining tool featuring a horizontal tree view.
- Change apps' CPU priority.
- Tools to convert images, for homebrew GBA developers.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content