CNET Editors' review
We recall a time when we held an office job that required us to keep track of a lot of little bits of information, and our computer monitor and stacks of file folders were often covered with little yellow sticky notes. These notes are great for keeping information handy, but they have a tendency to get lost or get stuck to documents they weren't meant for. We've seen many attempts at creating electronic versions of these notes, and Secure Reminder is one of the best. This versatile program has a ton of features that replicate the best parts of the physical sticky note experience while eliminating the annoyance of failed adhesive.
The program appears as an icon in the user's System Tray, and double-clicking on it opens a new note, while right-clicking opens a menu. The interface as a whole isn't particularly sleek or attractive, but it's easy enough to navigate. Notes can be place anywhere on the user's screen, but this is just the beginning of Secure Reminder's features. As the program's name would suggest, users can set alerts for notes; there are a variety of notification options, including flashing the note, playing a sound, or even having the program read the text of the note aloud. Notes can be organized into groups and searched for within the program. Most impressively, notes can be associated with particular files--Word documents, Excel Spreadsheets, and PDFs--letting users attach notes just as they would with physical documents. Conversely, users can attach files and URLs to each note. Secure Reminder has three levels of security, including password protection, making it appropriate for use with sensitive information. The program also includes an address book and gives users the capability to e-mail notes to other users with their default e-mail program. The program's built-in Help file is well-written and very thorough. Overall, we were very impressed with Secure Reminder's features, and we think it's a great choice for anyone looking for a more secure and organized alternative to traditional sticky notes.
Secure Reminder installs a desktop icon without asking and leaves a folder behind upon removal. We recommend this program to all users.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of Secure Reminder 9.3. The trial version is limited to 30 days.
Reminder software for Windows desktop. Can serve as desktop reminder, task scheduler, information organizer and password generator. Reminds about important dates and events using various alarm actions. Creates one-time and recurrent (daily and monthly) desktop reminders, send reminders over LAN/Internet. You can set alarm for each note to be reminded about daily tasks or special dates and events. Strong information encryption. Built-in password generator.
What's new in this version: Version 9.3 fixes bug with sending 'blank' notes on some computers.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and organize 3D sticky notes on your desktop or send the...
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Use your cellular phone as an alarm clock and preset reminders.
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Store your passwords, logins, and hyperlinks in an encrypted fi...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Set a desktop alarm clock and pop-up reminders of your events.
- Organize your notes and schedules and create electronic reminde...
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Set up unlimited number of timers with alarms for your daily ta...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Display notes on your desktop and send them to others through y...
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Set up and customize your personal alarm clock.
- Manage your address book, schedule, notes, to-do, anniversaries...
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Keep all of your important tasks and deadlines at your fingerti...
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.