CNET Editors' review
Scroll Reverser for Mac does just what its title says; it changes the movements for changing Web page views, and does so in an easy-to-use application. This program will be welcomed by those who feel they are missing the natural scrolling they enjoy on iOS devices.
Scroll Reverser for Mac easily installs with a drag and drop into the Applications folder and applies changes to the trackpad instantly. Typically, the pad scrolls down when users move two fingers up the pad. For many, this is the opposite of the most intuitive movement, which would be to swipe down to move lower on a page. The program applies these changes without any problems. However, the program only reverses scrolling and doesn't allow any changes to three-finger and four-finger swipes. A small window alerts the user to the changes, and directs them to a small icon located on the Mac's top menu bar. Clicking on this drops a menu where the functions can be reverted back to normal. A preferences menu also allows for changes to be made to left and right movements, as well as when the program starts. The application doesn't automatically check for updates but this is another option the user can turn on via the preferences menu.
Users who find Apple's default trackpad movements frustrating will love Scroll Reverser for Mac as it allows this and some other options to be changed easily, making it a potentially useful addition to a system.
From Pilotmoon Software:
You might have learned that a certain upcoming version of Mac OS X may have scrolling that is "bass-ackwards". That is, when you push up on your trackpad or mouse scroller, the page content moves up too, just like on iOS devices. Scroll Reverser lets you reverse your scrolling on 10.4 and above too. It's a pure usermode app, no drivers or kexts to install. Uninstallation is a simple drag-to-trash.
What's new in this version:
- Updated the status icon for retina displays.
- Better accuracy detecting traditional wheel mice from trackpads. (No change to Magic and Mighty mouse detection.)
- Added the option to automatically check for updates.
- Fix minor bug which casused a console warning about 'scrollPhase is deprecated...'.
- Requires OS X 10.7 Lion and above. (Version 1.5.1 still supports 10.4 and above.)
More Products to Consider
- Conceal your IP address on the web.
- Get pop-up notifications for iTunes track changes, new email, a...
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Control your MacBook's fans.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Extend the Dock and get window previews whenever you hover your...
- Widget displays Amazon's lightning deals.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Customize and correct certain annoying new features in Lion.
- Access menu bar menus from anywhere on the screen.
- Makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of...
- Exposes system menu bar icons that get hidden on small screens ...
- Keyboard tool that lets you "click" buttons and control your ap...
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Growl plug-in that tells you when caps lock is turned on or off...
- Contextual menus without control key.
- Executes a list of programs after a time delay.
- Move your cursor off the screen edge to next edge.
- Forces windows to go full screen when you click the green orb b...
- Get an Dashboard styled clock for your Mac OS X Dashboard.
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Adds 'natural' iOS scrolling to your desktop"
Version: Scroll Reverser 1.4
Works, adds preferences for 'natural' iOS scrolling to your desktop. No issues after a week of use all day. Memory use seems OK, Activity Monitor shows 2 threads, under 38MB Real Mem. Free!
Only interface is an icon with dropdown in menubar. You can hide the icon, but have to remember to launch the app to see it again to change prefs.
"Works, but uses WAY too much memory"
Version: Scroll Reverser 1.4
Allows you individual control of what devices you want to use "natural" scrolling vs traditional scrolling.
Uses far too much memory. I've seen it use up to 300MB of RAM, which is completely ridiculous. It seems to grow over time, indicating it's got some kind of memory leak or something.
Use it if you have a lot of memory, otherwise just get used to scrolling the same way with both the mouse and the touchpad.
Version: Scroll Reverser 1.3
it does what its made to do
sucks so much memory out of your mac
if you have extra memory to spare than use this. but if you dont, dont use it
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content