CNET Editors' review
ScreenSleeves for Mac allows the cover art and other song information to be displayed as the screensaver while a song plays, a useful feature for those who have long playlists during parties or other events. The program easily detects which song is playing and displays the cover art in good quality and with some additional options.
ScreenSleeves for Mac downloads and installs directly into the typical screensaver area, meaning users simply have to navigate to the system preferences menu to activate it. Once selected, the application automatically reads the song that is currently playing on iTunes or Spotify. When the screensaver is active and turns on, the display area takes up approximately one quarter of the screen and moves around as it operates. The cover of the album is displayed well and in good detail. In addition, the album name and the title of the track currently playing shows up along with rating and a slider indicating the song's progress. Both progress bar and rating/popularity options can be switched on or off via the app's appearance settings. Users also have the option to animate the cover art by adjusting the artwork size and 3D effect.
ScreenSleeves for Mac works well to add cover art displays for the currently-playing track to a screensaver, and may be a good addition for those who use their computers as music centers.
I love album artwork. Back in the day album covers were 12" square and some really were works of art. The CD cover was smaller, and for downloads the cover is no longer physical. But bands still put much effort into good album artwork and how better to display it while you're not working than with a screensaver? ScreenSleeves supports both iTunes and Spotify, detects which is playing and displays cover art and details for the currently-playing track in a neat, easy-on-the-eye-way (a la Front Row). As a screensaver it just kicks in if you leave your computer, or mouse to your hot corner. Control the track (next / previous) and volume without leaving the screensaver.
What's new in this version:
- Adds 3D rotated effect to album artwork, adjustable from flat to quite tilted
- Adds progress bar for current playing track switchable on/off
- To avoid rating being accidentally changed, adds option to require modifier key along with keys 1-5 to set rating
- Keys 1-5 to set rating only work if rating displayed
More Products to Consider
- Display your screensaver as your desktop background.
- View a near-real-time high-resolution image of Earth on your de...
- Realistic 3D fish swim around your desktop.
- Like Berkeley's old After Dark.
- Screensaver runs QuickTime & Flash movies.
- Add a clock screensaver with real-time minutes dropped into wat...
- Watch the Matrix code in 3D.
- Travel through a tunnel on your desktop with configurable color...
- Turn your OS X desktop into a realistic-looking 3D aquarium.
- Run a screensaver as a desktop picture.
- Displays black screen with transparency.
- An uplifting screensaver to put you in a good mood.
- Watch the Matrix code on your screen.
- Realistic 3D marine fish aquarium screen saver.
- Save your screen with amazing images taken by the Hubble Space ...
- Dancing light screensaver.
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Place a beautiful water effects as your desktop's screensaver.
- Translucent analog clock for those who miss it.
- Adjust display brightness with high precision.
- Disk image burner.
- Optical character recognition (OCR) software.
- Disk/volume benchmark utility.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content