CNET Editors' review
The red-eye phenomenon caused by camera flashes can ruin a good photo, but often the so-called correction offered by photo-editing tools isn't much of an improvement. We can't tell you how many times we've tried these tools and ended up with big, fake-looking black splotches where our subject's pupils are supposed to be. If you've had similar experiences, try S10 RedEyes. This simple program makes it easy to fix the dreaded red-eye and produce natural-looking results.
The program's interface is plain and easy to navigate. We checked out the program's online Help file to get the basics of its operation, but overall it's pretty intuitive. Once the desired image is loaded, you click on the eye you want to correct and then select the red area. S10 RedEyes is unique in that it allows you to select both circular and elliptical areas, which can provide a more natural effect. In addition to automatically eliminating the red-eye, the program lets you adjust the brightness of the eye and the pupil and select the iris color for better blending. For eyes that are beyond correction, the program can even insert a replacement eye, which looks surprisingly realistic. We were quite impressed with S10 RedEyes' results; they were better than anything we've seen from similar programs. We also liked it that the program provides other basic editing tools, such as cropping, resizing, rotation, and brightness adjustments, letting you quickly tidy up your images without opening multiple programs. Overall, we think that S10 RedEyes is a great way to get rid of this pesky problem, and we highly recommend it.
S10 RedEyes installs a desktop icon without asking and leaves a folder behind upon removal.
From S10 Software:
S10 RedEyes is a sophisticated red-eye removal program that also functions as a general-purpose photo editor. It features a circular/elliptical eye selection tool - not rectangular as in other programs - and it smoothly removes redness, with pixel blending along the perimeter (anti-aliasing). Eye brightness, pupil brightness, and eye color are all adjustable. For severe cases where the flash has entirely wiped out the structure of the eye, a "replacement eye" option is available. General photo editing capabilities include rotating, resizing, cropping, adjusting brightness, and correcting tilt. A navigation toolbar makes it easy to cycle through all photos in a folder. Also includes printing capabilility with instant preview. S10 RedEyes is digitally signed, compact (262KB), easy to use, and free.
What's new in this version: Version 3.2 has fixed error with "Next Photo" when in a root folder (common on USB drives).
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Create and publish online photo albums to your personal Web spa...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Keep all account info securely on your PC.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Photo-correcting program.
- Create stunning collages quickly and effortlessly.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Correct converging lines automatically.
- Modify and remove red eyes from your photographs.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
All versions:4.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: S10 RedEyes 3.2
- No other program does a better job of red eye removal
- Nothing major but I think the Reset button has a bug. It does not get enabled at times. And I think an Undo feature will be a better bet than Reset.
Some accomplished programs usually involve a little retouching after red eye removal; others simply fail to remove the red eye if it is not red enough. S10 RedEyes removes red eyes, period.
The interface is not much as the basic objective here is just to remove red eyes. There are common functions like Resize, Crop, Rotate, Brightness and Tilt but that's about it.
To remove the red eye, you need to select the dark part of the eye (the Iris) and click Remove. If the results are not to your satisfaction, you can adjust brightness levels for the iris and pupil. If it is still not Ok, you can opt for a replacement eye, which usually does the job. And you can also select from 4 different eye colors i.e. gray, brown, blue and green.
I have tried to remove red eyes with a lot of programs but none of them ever came close to the ease with which I could do so with this program. And the end result is so perfect, I am permanently putting this in my toolbox.
Kudos to the developer for such a great program. And guys, look no further for red eye removal.