CNET Editors' review
Postbox for Mac's streamlined interface and automatic syncing to existing accounts makes it a good e-mail manager. Additional features, including social media integration, further add to the program's appeal.
Postbox for Mac's main menu includes a row of buttons along the top that operate all of the common e-mail features. These include syncing to the Internet for new mail, archiving, replying, and forwarding, among others. A bar on the left side allows users to see which e-mail accounts are active, and to switch between them. The response time for changing accounts was quick. The main window contains all of the messages for the active account, which are displayed clearly. Users can also change the size and format of message information, as well as view things like to-dos, images, and e-mail attachments. The ability to add multiple e-mail accounts from services like Gmail and Apple Mail, as well as manual e-mail server setup, is an excellent feature, allowing users to see their new messages from a number of sources in a single program.
In addition to working well as an e-mail account manager, Postbox for Mac's ability to work with multiple e-mail addresses will appeal most to savvy computer users with a number of different accounts.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Postbox for Mac 3.0.8.
Postbox helps you make the most of your email, offering powerful new ways to find, use, and view email messages and content, organize your work life, and get stuff done. Postbox works behind the scenes to catalog everything in your email. We mean everything: every bit of text, every contact, address and link. Every picture, document and attachment. It's all in the catalog and it's all searchable.
More Products to Consider
- Minimalist IMAP client with multitouch gestures.
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Hear, see, and chat with many people at a time.
- Send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on...
- Read e-mail and news the way you want it, with intelligent junk...
- Video chat/calling tool; see up to 6 friends at once.
- Exchange online messages that appear as soon as they're sent.
- Use your webcam with multiple apps & add cool graphics & effect...
- Converter and management app for iPod music and videos.
- Looking to open those frustrating Microsoft Outlook MSG files o...
- Manage all your favorite social network accounts at once.
- Export to Facebook directly from iPhoto.
- Interact with social websites and receive notifications from th...
- Add DSP effects to any Mac application with audio content.
- Desktop client for Ping.fm social updating service.
- Latest updates from your social networks direct to your desktop...
- Auto record Skype phone and video calls.
- Manage your contacts, send messages, and dial phone numbers.
- Instant messaging tool.
- Localized version.
- Share information between Twitter and Facebook from a single de...
- Control camera settings from iChat, Skype and other apps.
- Share images and photos with your friends.
- Receive instant notifications of new e-mail messages.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 16 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"OK, but no support."
Version: Postbox 3.0.9
Works slightly better than Thunderbird which the code was forked from.
No support. I have several issues that I wanted help with. Nothing on there web site. No forum. The only way to get help is to pay $30 for one-on-one. Personally I think that is unacceptable. Why not offer a forum with some level of moderation (really don't think it would take that much or your precious time)
Too many other apps that offer support.
"Overcome Apple Mail's shortcomings."
Version: Postbox 3.0.9
The BIG reason I moved to Postbox was because of the elegant arrangement of accounts and folders as opposed to Mail's ugliness. Now all my folders are arranged the way I want them, and there is no extra "flagged" or "vip" folders that I'm forced to see. Wading through mail is now MUCH easier.
HTML signatures just WORK, with no silly hoops to jump though.
Works with add-ons, such as Spamsieve.
Rules/filters are not as powerful as Mail's. Specifically, Postbox needs to be able to send notifications as part of a rule. VIP integration would be good, too.
Lookup in dictionary doesn't work as smoothly as in Mail.
Resizing images in an mail changes the displayed size, but not the number of bytes of the file.
If you're fed up with the lack of flexibility built into Apple Mail, then Postbox might be for you. It's free to try and will configure itself according to Mail's settings, but you'll have to spend a little time tweaking everything to make it run perfectly.
The first time you run the software and download all your old mail, it will take a little while to index all those messages for later searching. Postbox might seem slow and unresponsive at this time, but let it go for a while; the wait is worth it.