CNET Editors' reviewAlthough this application falls into the image-browser category, PhotoViewer hardly fits the standard mold. Before using the software, we suggest reading the readme file. Otherwise, good luck figuring out whether you even can use the program, let alone launch it. Essentially, the program creates thumbnail pages for the images on a Web server--and it runs on Web servers, not desktops. The download installs a bunch of files from a ZIP archive into a PhotoViewer folder, but does not contain any obvious executables. You can run the batch file photoGen.bat only after you've set the location of the directory for the master images. You set the master directory--along with maximum photo size, maximum thumbnail size, thumbnails directory, and JPEG compression level--by hand-editing the master.properties file. The program produces a Java photo album that looks similar to a photographer's contact sheet but works as an image directory. You can navigate through the folders to view thumbnails, larger images, or images at full original size. While some Webmasters will find the program hard to use, those with image-heavy sites might appreciate PhotoViewer.
PhotoViewer is two applications, the PhotoGenerator and the PhotoViewer. The PhotoGenerator utility is a Java application that generates JPEG thumbnail and screen-size images from full-size JPEGs. The size of the thumbnails and screen-size images is user definable. This utility will keep two directories of images in sync and only regenerate new images or images that have changed.
The PhotoViewer Client is an Explorer-like Java applet that runs in a Web browser. It allows the viewer to see thumbnail, screen size, and original images. The images are categorized by both directory structure and date, and easily can switch between both views. The PhotoViewer Explorer-like client is light-years ahead of HTML-based photo viewers because it runs like a regular application in the user's Web browser.
Use this program to display your family photos so your family and friends easily can enjoy them. The program is free for personal use.
More Products to Consider
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Manage, edit, and share your photos.
- View, browse, edit, and manipulate digital images.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Edit text and view images with this unique editor.
- Edit, retouch, and copy image files from one platform to anothe...
- View photos, images, RAW files.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Convert a single PNG file or several files from the command lin...
- Convert a single TGA file or several files from the command lin...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Manage and edit your images.
- Create thumbnails and rotate, resize, and save images.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Organize your digital-photo collection, retouch and view pictur...
- Edit metadata of graphical files.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2