CNET Editors' review
If all you want is a quick image retouch, Photoshop is overkill. Paint.NET, on the other hand, is an open-source freeware editor with all the essentials, including tools to crop, rotate, and resize images, adjust colors, and create collages. It supports common image formats--JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, and others--but not high-resolution RAW files. There are enough basic and intermediate effects and features to keep image-tweakers happy, including a red-eye removal tool that has seen dramatic improvements. Unlike most free image editors, Paint.NET supports layers, history, and has an actions manager. The pleasing interface boasts semitransparent windows for ease of use.
Version 3.5 addresses many performance quibbles and offers some interface tweaks for the Aero-theme users, but fans of the "dancing ants" may not like the gray-overlay changes made to the selection tools. The useful tools under Effects on the menu bar have seen many additions since version 3, including surface blurs, dents, and crystalize.
The new version automatically downloads and installs the program's prerequisites, including the latest Microsoft .Net version and Windows Installer. It will update in the background now, too, so you can continue to use the program until it's ready to restart. Longtime users should notice that the program starts up about 20 percent faster, according to the publisher. Regardless of minor problems, Paint.NET is far more advanced than Microsoft Paint, and given its free price, it's a must-have for anyone needing to fix images.Paint.NET:
Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plug-ins.
More Products to Consider
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Create or edit pictures with layers via image filters.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit and add dream effects to your digital photos.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Combine pictures and effects to create amazing images.
- Create professional digital imaging results.
- Retouch your digital photos, and create and edit images.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Drag your photos from explorer or image browser and edit them.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Process photos start to finish--from download to editing (inc. ...
- View and edit images of various formats.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Create photo collages with various effects.
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 1,079 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Absolutely amazing :)"
Version: Paint.NET 3.5.11
This piece of software is fantastic, really! It was exactly was I was looking for, simple reliable and easy to use image editing application. And it handles these tasks amazingly well. You shouldn't be expecting professional image editing features because if you're looking for these it would only make sense to buy Photoshop or a similar application. This one is just what I wanted, you can imagine it a "Photoshop Lite" edition!
Not any particular flaws, not really!
"LOve this. One of the FREE programs outthere"
Version: Paint.NET 3.5.11
Does what you need,
And possible to do alot with patient workarounds
I find it annoying that can't move Text around without using layers.
Red eye fix is also pretty bad.