Editing PDF files by adding or correcting text, signatures, or images requires specialized software. PDFpen for Mac allows users to modify PDFs in a simple but efficient program.
Downloading PDFpen for Mac took much longer than expected on a high-speed connection, but installation completed quickly. The program has extensive instructions and tutorials to walk the user through its functions. This is a welcome addition to such a unique and comprehensive program, and better yet technical support does appear to be available. The program immediately brings up a menu where the user can select PDF files with which to work. A top menu has buttons for editing features, including options like highlighting and adding text. Boxes for notations and adding URL links are also among the numerous editing options. All functions performed well and as expected, and the program output matched that of the original PDF. The menu design does appear to be dated, but the program's overall functioning does not make this much of a distraction. The free trial version of PDFpen places a watermark on output files.
PDFpen for Mac performs all of its expected functions well, despite its basic interface. So it will most likely satisfy Mac users who are looking for a solid PDF editor.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of PDFpen for Mac 6.0.1.
- Add text, images and signatures to PDF
- Correct text in original PDF with editable text blocks
- Move, resize, copy and delete images in original PDF
- Perform basic Optical Character Recognition (OCR) on scanned documents
- Insert and remove pages; re-order pages in a PDF by drag & drop; combine PDFs
- Fill out and save PDF forms
- Copy and paste rich text; retain fonts and formatting when copying from PDFs
- Select and copy text across multiple columns
- Add (and print) notes and comments
- Markup documents with highlighting, underscoring and strikethrough
- Save frequently-used images, signatures, objects and text in the Library
- Create cross-platform fillable PDF forms (requires PDFpenPro)
- Create and edit Table of Contents (requires PDFpenPro)
- Use with PageSender for a paperless fax turn-around solution
- Automate PDF manipulations with AppleScript
- Available in English, Japanese, German, Italian, and French