CNET Editors' review
OnyX is a utility for Macs that allows you to check the integrity of your startup files, as well as configure some hidden parameters of your system. There are OnyX versions for the latest releases of Mac OS X (and they are not cross-release compatible) so you have to download the appropriate version. The download is free and OnyX installs easily as long as you allow installs from non-App Store sources.
OnyX can verify your startup disk and the System file structure. By itself, this is a useful function in case of system issues. However, OnyX does more, allowing you to configure some parameters not typically accessible for the Finder, Dock, Safari, Mail, and other apps. You can also use OnyX to delete disk caches and logs. The OnyX interface features dialogs, which look a little overwhelming but actually are designed to give you control over all the parameters OnyX can touch. The learning curve is not trivial, but not complex, either.
The flexibility OnyX offers is remarkable, and while you can't get OnyX from the App Store, it is available through the developer's Web site. Since OnyX has been around since 2003 and there's a constant update process from a dedicated developer, this is one of the more useful utilities we've encountered. Recommended.Onyx(Mountain Lion) - Configure you Mac - Download Video Previews:
From Titanium's Software:
OnyX is a multifunction utility for OS X. It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure the hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, Spotlight, and of some of Apple's own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.
What's new in this version:
- New option: Delete the saved application states
- New option: Show/hide interface level switching (Simple/full Finder)
- New option: Turn on/Turn off the Rubber-Band Scrolling
- New version of sqlite3
- It is no longer necessary to quit all applications in order to check the disk
- Help improved
More Products to Consider
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Multifunctional utility for Mac OS X.
- System maintenance and cleaning utility.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Detect and download updates for all of your installed software.
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- (Mountain Lion Edition) general purpose system modify/repair ut...
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Online backup using Amazon S3.
- Versatile file search tool based upon Apple's powerful Spotligh...
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Make simple changes to a single object, and then repeat those c...
- Assign your hotkeys.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Synchronize and back up your files/folders.
- Generic Glide & OpenGL drivers for Voodoo2 cards.
- Search for, uninstall applications and more.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Drivers and Control Panel for the PCI & AGP Voodoo 4 & 5 cards.
- Manage system and user services on your Mac.
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
Version: OnyX (Mountain Lion) 2.6.8
I have no idea since I cannot use it
Not free as stated!
I downloaded it since it was advertised as free. It automatically did a system check and found multiple things to fix. When I clicked to "Clean" these issues it said I need to upgrade to full version for this. Um hello? This is certainly not free if it does NOTHING for you except tell me I have computer issues.
"Fast, easy, secure"
Version: OnyX (Mountain Lion) 2.6.8b2
Handles everything I need to manage
keeping MacBook Pro Clean
None I know of
Version: OnyX (Mountain Lion) 2.6.7
Didn't get a chance to find any pros!!!!
Bugs, freeze constantly, so slow, completely retarded! Unbelievable! After 48 h i did erase everything on my hard disk and went back to the original version.
Please do yourself a favour, do not buy it! Waste of time and money!
"Good product compromised by the need to set a password"
Version: OnyX (Mountain Lion) 2.6.5
A well established app with regular updates. Does what it promises with a pleasing appearance
I have never understood why it requires you to enter an admin password. I leave mine blank for general use, but opening it is impossible without logging in/out as the Administrator with an assigned password. I should be able to use it without all this hassle. If I've designated myself to be "Admin" in the Users & Groups preferences, this should be sufficient "security". A poor oversight which mitigates against using it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content