CNET Editors' review
On-Screen Keyboard Portable brings up the Windows virtual keyboard and lets you take the same keyboard from one device to another. Since the settings you create for your keyboard are stored on portableapps.com, you won't have to configure your keyboard from scratch again when you switch machines.
When you run On-Screen Keyboard Portable, it automatically opens the default Windows on-screen virtual keyboard. This keyboard stays on top of all of your active windows, so you can use it no matter what you're working on, and you won't lose it under a pile of other windows. While it's really meant for use mostly with a touchscreen, this virtual keyboard is clickable with the mouse, as well, and it works fine that way, too. In order to take advantage of the portable feature of this app, you'll have to go and create a free account on portableapps.com.
All of this is free, but there are a lot of ads that pop up on the Web site. There is also no Help feature or explanation of how this program works, so you're pretty much on your own to figure it out. Luckily it's not too complicated, so it's manageable, and if you do find yourself using virtual keyboards frequently on multiple devices, this app is worth checking out.
On-Screen Keyboard Portable makes it easy to access Windows' built-in On-Screen Keyboard on any system you come across. It remembers your settings for sound hover to select or click to select, always on top, keyboard layout and more as you move from PC to PC. And the icon sits right in your PortableApps.com Menu for easy access. For earlier operating systems that lack a built-in on-screen keyboard (Windows 95/98/Me) it even includes a simple virtual keyboard that, while lighter on accessibility features, is still useful.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Type texts with your mouse using a virtual keyboard.
- Implement a revolutionary tablet keyboard for your Windows tabl...
- Type in Malayalam unicode directly, change the keyboard layout ...
- Read the twitter entries them with Google's Text To Speech.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Control the whole computer with the keyboard alone.
- Replace your repetitive alt-tab tasks with single key strokes.
- Record selected texts on a web page.
- View images located on your PC.
- Enter international characters in Internet Explorer.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content