CNET Editors' review
With later versions of Mac OS X, Apple no longer included an application to work with ODBC files. ODBC Manager for Mac replaces this application and operates well, albeit with limited utility for all but advanced users.
The program is available as freeware with no restrictions or purchase necessary. Its small size facilitated quick download and installation, without the acceptance of any lengthy user agreement. ODBC Manager for Mac did not contain any instructions, which would have been a welcome addition since the interface would not be intuitive for the average user. An available updated version indicates that some technical support is available. After starting, the program contains the features expected of a replacement for Apple's own native program from prior OS versions. These include options for user and system DSN, tracing, drivers, and pooling. In each screen, experienced users will easily locate buttons for adding, removing, and configuring these options. Users may also use a dictation feature built into the program. While there are no additional features, the program performs its stated functions, which is what a user should expect from a freeware program.
Those users looking for a replacement for Apple's native program will find ODBC Manager for Mac functional, but less advanced users should look for other, simpler options.
From Actual Technologies:
ODBC Manager is a replacement for Apple's ODBC administrator utility, which is no longer included with Mac OS X (starting with Snow Leopard).
ODBC Manager also addresses some of the problems and annoyances of Apple's administrator, including the use of underscores in names and keywords.
ODBC Manager is freely distributable. Application and driver vendors are encouraged to include ODBC Manager in their distributions.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Connect, browse, update & manage databases from one database cl...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Graphical SQL database design/entity relationship diagram tool.
- Screen capture utility.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Tool for managing MySQL databases.
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Create compressed TAR archives via drag & drop.
- Recovers photo, videos and music files efficiently.
- Data recovery software.
- TFTP server utility.
- Restore bmp, jpg, png, tif, mp3 files fast and accurately.
- Disk browser & file utility.