CNET Editors' review
NANO Security's NANO AntiVirus is a relatively new entry into the huge market for free antivirus programs. Like the competition, it offers comprehensive, up-to-date protection from computer viruses, Trojans, malware, and suspicious programs. It monitors Web traffic, checks your e-mail, and keeps a tab on system activity in real time. It also scans RAM for infections and can even detect viruses in encrypted and compressed files such as archives and backups. Unlike many other free antivirus packages, it doesn't limit the features available in the freeware to get you to buy a premium version: All of its functionality is free. Many other antivirus tools, free or not, also use the same engines and definitions, but NANO Security has its own antivirus lab, and NANO AntiVirus has its own engine. NANO AntiVirus requires newer hardware, too: A 2GHz CPU, at least 2GB of RAM, and Windows 7 are recommended.
NANO AntiVirus sets up much like the other free AV tools we've tried, and its user interface bears the family resemblance in layout, controls, and access points, including a System Tray icon. But unlike some AV tools, NANO AntiVirus doesn't play well with others of its kind, including Avast! and Microsoft Security Essentials. NANO's Compatibility mode lets it run alongside other programs, but with compromised functionality (for example, we lost Internet connectivity when running multiple antivirus programs). NANO's full scan is thorough and can take more than an hour. It's actually several scans, including an initial RAM scan and fix that required a reboot to remove a pair of minor infections that our regular antivirus program missed because it doesn't look for them. You may need to run NANO as an Administrator or enter your Admin password to scan some programs, though we could check Skip or Allow All.
We should note that NANO AntiVirus has no relation to the similarly named rogue program from several years back. In fact, it's a fairly new project, so it still has some touches of the beta here and there. But NANO AntiVirus is also something else, a genuine alternative to the dominant players in a competitive field.
From NANO Security:
NANO Antivirus is high-technology product which provides reliable protection of your computer from any kinds of malware as viruses, trojans, worms and other dangerous programs. NANO Antivirus offers you the following advantages: * Protection of your computer from any type of viruses, trojans and worms including their encrypted and polymorphous variations. * Real-time protection of your system, that guarantees the safety of your information during your work time. * The web-traffic scanner which promptly checks all downloaded files from Internet. * Extended support of compacted files that allows to find malware in various types of archives. * NANO Antivirus provides high speed scan by using of advanced technology. * Detection of new types of malware through system behavior analysis. * Timely update of the virus database to protect your computer from new viruses and malware. * Multi-user mode. * Easy-use interface with many settings. * You can create periodical tasks for testing and update with your own settings.
What's new in this version: New in the version:
- There is a new additional scan mode of removable media: "Quick scan" - express-test the most vulnerable areas on removable media.
- Fixed an issue with uninstalling NANO Antivirus, occurring after upgrade NANO Antivirus to version 0.26 from version 0.24 and earlier.
- Improved web traffic scanning mechanism using the new technologies provided by Windows 8. In particular, due to this is solved compatibility issues wit... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Get a collection of VFW or ACM codecs, Directshow filters for y...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Increase your connection speed and recover broken downloads.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Play all kinds of video content.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Use your mouse or keyboard keys to play notes and back up your ...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content