CNET Editors' review
Writing a novel can seem like an overwhelming process. All those characters and details to keep track of, not to mention finding the proper structure and pacing. Many would-be novelists just don't know where to begin. MyNovel breaks the novel-writing process into manageable pieces, giving writers a clear idea of how to proceed through each step of the writing process.
The program's interface is attractive and intuitive, with a layout that's similar to Office 2007 products. Although the program's Help file is well-written and thorough, most users should have little reason to visit it. MyNovel guides you through the first steps, helping you decide if you want to write a character- or plot-driven novel and explaining how the action should rise and fall. The program is definitely geared toward novice writers; experienced novelists will likely find the program's guidance too basic and obvious. But for those just getting started as writers, the program's advice will be tremendously helpful. Once users select what kind of novel they want to write, the program offers a straightforward way to organize every aspect of the novel, including chapters, characters, places, subplots, and much more. Diagrams allow users to chart everything from chronology to character relationships. The program has many extra features, including guidance on finding an agent or publisher and access to an online writers' circle.
MyNovel is free to try, but certain features, including saving and printing, are disabled. The program installs desktop icons without asking but uninstalls cleanly. We recommend this program to all beginning novelists.
Ever wanted to write a novel or your life story? MyNovel will help you to do that. It will help you to plan and write your first novel and indeed all the others you write after that. MyNovel includes a full word processor and spellchecker but it is more than that. MyNovel includes templates, plots, successful formulas for you to follow. Alternatively you can start with a blank canvas and allow MyNovel to release your potential.
What's new in this version: Version 3.0 includes spell-checking as you type, a thesaurus, a new word processor and diagram editor.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Plan the details of your sci-fi novel, develop plot ideas, and ...
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Plan and organize story details before writing novels.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Add this spelling checker to your system tray.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Visualize and develop your screenplay or novel in correct indus...
- Keep track of questions and ideas, and get reminders of events ...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Read about the famous detective's adventures in this collection...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Solve plot and character problems when writing your story.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Read ebooks on your Windows personal computer.
- Manage and project your business plans.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Learn how to write effective paragraphs.
- Create, share, print, and publish your own digital picture book...
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 4 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Do not buy, it crashes constantly"
Version: MyNovel 3.0
none. There is nothing good about purchasing this software. It has been a disaster since they took my money.
This program crashes constantly.
It is super slow.
The program itself is muddied and appears more like a cluttered desk than software that is supposed to help "organize"
Tech support will not write back to you and they have no phone number, so don't think about calling them, or getting your money back.
The demo version worked alright, but when I spent the $40, then that program didn't work at all.
Download ywriter 5 instead. It actually runs, organizes and is free!
"Do not buy."
Version: MyNovel 3.0
Helps in organizing the work you are doing.
Nice timeline feature.
Nice character profiles
Crashes . . . a lot.
Lose hours of typing. You can, of course, turn on 'auto-backup' and put in a short time between saves to compensate.
Crashing tends to corrupt something in the program. I have no idea what; in any case, sometimes it becomes necessary to delete and re-install the program. when this doesn't work, do NOT COUNT ON customer support. It is a joke.
No manual. No help files.
Cocept is good. Execution is bad.
"Can't beat this for price v functionality and usability"
Version: MyNovel 3.0
Extremely cheap for what it does. Brilliant facility for planning and keeping track of even the most complex of novels, or for that matter - series of novels.
None discovered. No crashing, freezing, messing things up or anything of the kind. Been using this every day for nearly a year, so I should know by now!
I would have given up and dropped my dreams of writing if MyNovel3 didn't exist. Though there may be individual programmes that do tiny bits of what MyNovel does with greater polish or with a more expensive skin, none of the others come close to it for overall functionallity and ease of use. I agree entirely with the CNET critique, though I will probably continue to use MyNovel3 and any further versions of the software even when I'm no longer a "novice" - because It's the only thing that has the ability to keep pace with the extremely complex things I write (I'm a serial Sci-Fi novelist).
"MyNovel crashes my computer, I've lost my work & time."
Version: MyNovel 3.0
1) It seems that you get a lot of functionality for your money.
2) It may be helpfull with the planning stage (save your work often!)
1) After I installed MyNovel my PC crashes at random times.
2) Technical support blamed anti-virus for the crashes.
3) I got sick & tired of MyNovel crashing my PC.
4) MyNovel does NOT return my money.
5) I went back to using FREE yWriter.
Don't waste your time & money. Use much more stable and free yWriter instead. Use FreeMind (also freeware) for planning.