CNET Editors' review
Despite perceptions to the contrary, the desktop-based e-mail client is not dead. Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 is a serious reaction to the prevalence of Web mail, so whether you're looking for a strong desktop client, an Outlook replacement, or a powerful tool for managing archives and Web mail offline, Thunderbird can scale to your needs.
Outlook users will notice the speed and responsiveness of the program, which loads quickly, even when weighed down by multiple folders and RSS feeds, and the basic feature set remains intact: good junk mail filters, HTML support, multiple identities, and robust Web mail, POP, IMAP, and Microsoft Exchange server support. Security features include S/MIME, digital signing, message encryption, and a built-in phishing detector. Add-ons, based on the same code as Firefox's add-on network, can enhance your security even further.
Joining such useful features as the back and forward e-mail browsing buttons and customizable tags in version 3.0 are a set of must-have features. The powerful search tool integrates results with desktop searches on Windows Vista and Windows 7, while tabs reinforce the connections between Web browsing and e-mail reading. In fact, the new search tool is so powerful that if you have a massive number of e-mails, you may want to set it to index them overnight lest it drain system resources from other programs. Gmail support especially has been revamped, so you now get an All Mail folder in Thunderbird, among other improvements. Mozilla's new Personas skins work in Thunderbird, while the Lightning add-on supplies the missing Microsoft Exchange-compatible calendar feature.
Flexible, powerful, and lightweight, Thunderbird 3 is an appropriate companion to Firefox in every way.New search and tabs take flight in Thunderbird 3:
Mozilla Thunderbird makes e-mailing safer, faster, and easier with such features as intelligent spam filters, a built-in RSS reader, and quick search. Thunderbird was designed to prevent viruses and to stop junk mail. Thunderbird includes tabbed e-mail, new search tools and indexing, smart folders, support for Firefox's Personas, a simplified setup wizard, and robust junk protections that include phishing and spam filters. Thunderbird has a junk mail tools have been updated to stay ahead of spam and features Phishing protection.
What's new in this version: Version 17.0.6 includes security fixes and supports Twitter API version 1.1.
More Products to Consider
- Take your e-mail client and address book on the go with your po...
- Join live-video chat rooms from around the world.
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Add thousands of cool effects to webcam video for live video ch...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Read e-mail with the latest beta from Mozilla.
- Add a virtual webcam with amazing video effects to your video c...
- Transfer your e-mails reliably to another format or program.
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Receive notifications as your e-mail recipients open your messa...
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Export Thunderbird's email messages and attachments to easily a...
- Open, view, and extract data from TNEF-encoded messages.
- Manage your e-mail activities using a 3D video-game-like enviro...
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- See important Outlook e-mail information at a glance, without h...
- Send out multiple e-mail messages at a time.
- Add a virtual Webcam for video chats software such as Skype, MS...
- Send and receive e-mails and stay in touch with your family.
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Enable e-mail functionality in your .NET applications.
- Run multiple Skype accounts on the same computer.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 1,193 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Doesn't download your personal folders (or attachments?"
Version: Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0.6
Easy to download and install.
Doesn't access personal folders - just the inbox.
Not sure if it handles attachments automatically.
It only took an hour or so to know it wasn't what I needed. I'm a long time Mozilla fan and really wanted this to work but I wanted to download all my Yahoo emails with their attachments from all my folders and it doesn't seem to do that so I tried EM Client and it does everything (after a lot of hassling with settings).