CNET Editors' review
We're suckers for cool little utilities that more or less do one useful thing very well. MoonDriver is one of those programs. It places an image of the moon in its current phase on your desktop. That's it, pretty much, but it's much more useful to have than you might think at first. The moon influences many aspects of nature and our daily lives, everything from ocean tides to biorhythms, but understanding the lunar phases is worthwhile in and of itself.
MoonDriver places an icon in the System Tray; right-clicking it calls up the program's properties, which allow you to resize the moon, select always on top, and make other common adjustments. We liked the Upcoming Phases feature, which displays the next four phases and their dates. Down Under users can select Southern Hemisphere, and Daylight Moon displays Luna as she appears in the day sky. You can add a red, blue, or yellow tint, but cheese lovers will be disappointed to learn that there is no green.
Human survival once depended on an intimate knowledge of lunar phases, but, love songs excepted, modern life has moved us away from the moon. Such lunacy is easily remedied, though, by downloading MoonDriver. Going outside and looking up at the moon helps, but MoonDriver informs you even when it's cloudy, and using it will help you understand what you see when you do go out under the moon. It's free to try but, at $8, it doesn't cost the moon, either.
MoonDriver displays the current moon phase on your desktop. MoonDriver shows only the moon. The moon can be positioned anywhere, and sized from small to very large. The moon can be tinted. You can make the 'dark' portion invisible. You will enjoy MoonDriver for many moons.
What's new in this version: Version 3.0 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, and bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Display the view of our planet as seen from space.
- Enjoy flight over ocean in cinematic 3D environment.
- Animate your desktop with water effects.
- Place video wallpapers on your desktop.
- Create a screensaver with images, sounds, movies, Flash, web si...
- Choose time zone and get sun and moon rise and set times.
- Customize your wallpapers and screensavers with pictures and vi...
- Bring realistic coral reef aquarium to your PC screen.
- Display a digital clock on your desktop.
- Emulates the Matrix code and introduction sequence.
- View information and a simulation of the moon.
- Disply a virtual aquarium with unsurpassed realism.
- Enhance your desktop with a Swatch watch.
- Watch unending skies and clouds on your desktop.
- Set your desktop virtually on fire.
- Watch an alarm clock running along the countryside road.
- Feel the warmth as you watch the flames leap and fire shimmer o...
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Enjoy beauty of moon images.
- Change the desktop wallpaper automatically, position pictures t...
- Display falling snowflakes on your desktop.
- Add a stylish thing for your desktop.
- Customize your bootup screen with your own images.
- View date and current time in another time zone on your desktop...