CNET Editors' review
Modern Mix is a tweak for Windows 8 that brings users one step closer to the classic Windows experience inside the Modern UI environment. Stardock's latest release removes the barrier between the Start Screen and desktop by enabling Modern apps to run inside a window. The result is a user experience more in line with the traditional Windows 7 way of displaying windowed applications. Regardless of your feelings about Microsoft's OS, Modern Mix is a utility that is genuinely useful for the desktop dependent.
After installation, you'll be introduced to ModernMix's config menu. By default, any app that you launch from the Start Screen or desktop will now be open in a window. You can change this behavior for both individual launch locations and set ModernMix to launch apps while retaining their last used settings, like window size. If you like the minimal control overlay, ModernMix gives you the option to display or hide modes on the top right corner. If you opt to hide it, the F10 key will toggle between your standard Modern full-screen mode or the classic windowed mode.
Stardock has thoughtfully incorporated many other basic behavioral options. Normally, Windows 8's charms bar acts as your standard app manager for Modern UI apps. ModernMix takes your Modern UI apps and docks them onto the desktop taskbar to further blur the lines between both environments. Another appreciated option is ModernMix's ability to constrain app window sizes; many of the apps available from Microsoft's app store are set at a 768-pixel height or above and aren't meant for scaling down.
In some cases, the windowed experience didn't really end up being the best. Many of Microsoft's apps in Windows 8 are tailored for a full screen experience, so some apps end up being underwhelming at times. This is much more apparent with running games; depending on how you scale the window size; some games like Hydro Thunder, BlazBlue, or Jezzball Galaxy will attempt to scale itself but end up getting cut off at more unconventional resolutions.
Having the option to tweak and mod your computing experience is one of the conveniences of having a PC. If you're still feeling hesitant about making the jump to Windows 8 but feeling left out from the speedy enhancements, then take ModernMix out for a spin and see if you warm up to it. Combined with Start8, ModernMix and Windows 8 just might be the perfect computing cocktail recipe that will finally push some Win7 users over the tipping point to Windows 8.
ModernMix gives users the capability to run Windows 8 Modern (Metro) apps in resizable windows on the desktop. This contrasts with the native behavior of Modern apps, which always run full screen on a user's display regardless the amount of information an app needs to display.
ModernMix also introduces the capability to pin Modern apps to the taskbar, create desktop shortcuts to them and switch between running apps in a way that will be familiar to users of previous Windows releases.
Features: Run Windows 8 Modern apps in a window on the desktop; Display and pin Modern apps on the taskbar; Explicitly close Modern apps by clicking their close button; Create desktop shortcuts for Modern apps; Access the Charms bar from an app's window.
What's new in this version: Version 1.12 adds compatibility for Windows 8.1.
More Products to Consider
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Display custom messages and flash the Scroll or Num Lock lights...
- Display unlimited world clocks with world map on your desktop.
- Set your alarm clock and replace your standard tray clock using...
- Enhance windows desktop with this program.
- Grab and save objects as they are copied to the Windows Clipboa...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Find Windows desktop gadgets on your Windows 8 device.
- Improve your productivity with desktop customization tools (500...
- Add a stationary dock to your Windows 8 Start Screen.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Awesome tool but needs a little work"
Version: ModernMix 1.12
Allows me to have windows 8 apps open in a window that can be sized and moved around on your screen(s).
I have multiple monitors and if I open the app on the monitor I want and then decide to change to a different monitor and maximize it on the new monitor, the app pops back to the original monitor.
Also, sometimes if you open the app on a monitor of your choosing and you click on another monitor, the app will automatically stop playing or minimize and stop playing.
A great feature for windows 8. Multiple monitor issues need to be addressed.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content