CNET Editors' review
Feeding the budding DJ in just about everyone, Mixxx is a software-based mixing console that lets you use your iTunes library to rock the club, your house, or anywhere else. The Mixxx interface is straight-forward and will be familiar if you've used any other software DJ apps. The bottom of the interface is a list of songs (with appropriate information such as artist, title, year of release, duration, genre and more), and the top has two displays, one for each of two source tracks, showing the audio schematic of the file. Beneath are the playback controls. Between the two schematics are the usual DJ controls for adjusting tone, the volume of the two sources, and so on. Mixxx supports most file formats you'll run across on a Mac, including MP3, FLAC, OGG, M4A and WAV files.
In use, Mixxx is easy and intuitive. There are some advanced features such as beat matching and looping, as well as on-the-fly remixing. If you have access to one, there's full support for several external MIDI controllers (we tested with a Roland external mixer and it worked fine). Using the simple interface you can create playlists for later replay, and it includes the capabilities to push out to Shoutcast and Icecast.
The neatest feature of Mixxx is that this isn't a hobbled trial version, but a full-blown DJ mixing tool with all the features both amateur and professional DJs want. To test it in real-world use we tried it at a couple of wedding gigs this summer, feeding files from an external hard drive, and it performed as well as any other DJ software package we've tried. Mixxx is a sleeper: this is a wonderful app, for free, and you can't go wrong with it.
Mixxx is designed for DJ'ing for both professional and semi-professional users. Mixxx was started in early 2001 as one of the first digital DJ systems. Today Mixxx includes many features common to digital DJ solutions, but also some very unique features. Futhermore Mixxx has a number of key features to help the DJ in the live mix: Beat estimation, parallel visual displays, and support for many DJ input controllers.
More Products to Consider
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Mix the music.
- Digital video editing system.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Explore the creative possibilities of mixing with this full-fea...
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Edit music, voice, and other audio recordings.
- Music notation with MIDI input & part extraction.
- Scheduling component for Radiologik DJ.
- Automated radio DJ assistant.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Create multilayer audio loops with adjustments and effects.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Record any sound playing through sound card, microphone, or bot...
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Download/upload GPS data to GPX, Google Earth.
- Listen to free Internet radio.
- DJ software that works with iTunes.