CNET Editors' review
Surveyors, environmental impact researchers, historical impact researchers, cell-phone tower site locators, and real estate developers--these are just a few of the folks who will find real value in this nicely featured application for plotting maps based on survey or GPS data.
Metes and Bounds launches a large window with a row of icon-buttons along the top, a vertical pane with some data controls on the left side, and a large drawing and editing pane taking up most of the window's real estate. A Drawing Wizard automatically opens at launch to prompt the user for the type of drawing he or she wants to develop. The interface design isn't jazzy or overly colorful, but it's very functional and clearly marked so even novice users will quickly understand how to navigate its features. This app performed very well during our tests, and we were very pleased with the features it offered. Entering latitude and longitude was a snap. We particularly appreciated the robust feature set for creating a variety of plots and the editing functionality for manipulating the completed drawings. We liked how we could devise multiple layers for overlapping plots based on latitudinal and longitudinal data or GPS data.
Metes and Bounds includes a link to a series of online tutorials that are nicely designed and fully informative for any novice users getting up and running with this tool box. Likewise, the Help feature is very thorough. The "Unregistered" watermark on the drawing pane may aggravate some users, but that's a minor quibble. The price should be sweet enough for anyone needing to rely on this sort of tool on a frequent basis.
From Sandy Knoll Software:
With Metes and Bounds, turn Metes and Bounds data into a plot map. Perform calculations such as square footage or acres. It includes auto-completion for those incomplete surveys. Enter measurements in feet, meters, and rods. It supports curves, multiple layers, and GPS waypoints. Metes and Bounds will calculate if the survey closes or not. Features include auto-completion of drawing, multiple measurement types, layers, automatic labeling, create custom labels and backgrounds, background pictures, and split a single plot into multiple plots.
What's new in this version: Version 4.4.2 fixed issues where with pops up on extra messages when doing certian Lat/Long calculations and title block style error.
More Products to Consider
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Convert between various units of measurement.
- Calculate the square footage of any area.
- Perform different calculations and conversions.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Convert Cubic feet to Litres or vice versa for loudspeaker box ...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Convert different measurements to any units.
- Convert values of units to other kinds of units in Excel.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Convert temperature between various measurements.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Convert between 650 units of measurement in 30 categories.
- Manage and perform various conversions and calculations.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Convert MP3, MP2, and WAV files to the WMA format.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Convert video files into MP3 format.
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Nearly useless teaser for the commercial product"
Version: Metes and Bounds 4.2
It is easy to use to create a map.
The free version won't let you save a map or print it. I expect that when the thirty day trial period is over, I will lose any work I've completed.
How could anyone recommend this? Assuming that a one star review means less than worthless, and should be reserved for software containing viruses or other malware, I award this product two stars.
"Works OK but free version has definite limitations."
Version: Metes and Bounds 3.4
Clean, relatively straightforward interface.
Not as intuitive as advertised. Choices don't allow one to create all necessary boundary shapes.
Perhaps the paid version is more flexible, but since the free one was not full-featured enough to me to map just the metes and bounds of my property, I'm not inclined to send them money in hopes that the paid version allows me to finish the job.
Version: Metes and Bounds 2.8.2
easy to use
cannot perform exceptions
"This product gave me the results that I needed for a report that I was writing."
Version: Metes and Bounds 2.2.
I would have to wait till I finished the entire imput to see if the boundaries were in the right direction. Could not adjust as I was going along.