CNET Editors' review
If you'd like an alternative to Windows Media Player that plays just about every kind of audio and video file and is widely customizable and flexible enough to serve many roles, including DVD and Blu-Ray player, you really only have a few choices, and one of them is Media Player Classic, aka MPC. Actually, several others might be MPC too since this open-source freeware serves as the basis of more than one media player for Windows. The latest version is Media Player Classic-Home Cinema. MPC-HC is available in separate downloads for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. We tried the 64-bit version in Windows 7 Home Premium.
After choosing some setup options, we opened MPC's updated user interface. As the "Classic" choice, MPC has never been flashy, and the program's new look is essentially an up-to-date version of the tried-and-true layout. One thing that hasn't changed is the movie clapboard icon (with the classic "321" logo); another is MPC's huge range of options. MPC can be customized in many ways, from common settings to advanced options like Tweaks, Renderer Settings and Command Line Switches. A built-in Shader Editor is one of the View menu's many options; others include Playlists, Presets, and Statistics. You can also download optional Toolbar images to change the player's buttons. The program's Web page has lots of information, including FAQs, a Changelog, and a Development Wiki with links to documentation, including a manual. One change we'd like to see is a direct link to the manual from the Help menu.
Of course, Media Player Classic-Home Cinema is designed to play DVDs and Blu-Ray discs as well as your media files, but it can also directly access files from video-capture devices and other sources. A Quick Open File option let us quickly browse to and launch files. MPC-HC's filters menu includes the open-source Matroska file type (MKV). Having just tested an MKV converter, we had several files on hand to play in MPC-HC, which handled them well. But, as it always has, MPC-HC handled everything we threw at it. It remains a top choice for a better media player for Windows.
Media Player Classic Home Cinema (64-bit) is a light-weight media player for Windows. It looks just like Windows Media Player v6.4, but has many additional features. You can use the player as a Media Player Classic Home Theater.
It has built-in codecs for MPEG-2 video and codecs for LPCM, MP2, AC3 and DTS audio, and also contains an improved MPEG splitter that supports playback of VCDs and SVCDs using its VCD, SVCD, or XCD Reader.An AAC decoding filter makes MPC suitable for AAC playback in MP4.
More Products to Consider
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Get flexible audio and video playback with access to smart orga...
- Add audio/video codecs and filters to playback any video file.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Back up media to Blu-ray discs and access your media via HTTP p...
- Convert HD/any videos to popular formats, extract and convert a...
- Add watermarks to your videos.
- Archive and unpack files on your 64-bit OS.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Convert MTS and other popular video/audio files to any video an...
- Access the data through Outlook as Microsoft Dynamics CRM.
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Convert MKV videos to AVI, WMV, FLV, MP4 for playback on popula...
- Synchronize files and folders between locations.
- Get fast and flexible audio and video playback with access to s...
- Convert all video/audio formats with high definition and top sp...
- Remove all issues with the Windows Media Player.
- Convert general videos and HD videos to your desired HD formats...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, and music files in a...
- Add various user interface and playback enhancements to Windows...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 8 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content