CNET Editors' review
While still rare, spyware affecting Mac operating systems has gained more attention in recent years. MacScan for Mac provides an effective and supported solution.
Available as a free demo version for 30 days, MacScan for Mac requires a $39.99 payment in order to continue its use. Despite the program's large size, the installation process went well. The user is immediately prompted to install updated spyware and tracking cookie definition files after starting the program for the first time, and MacScan automatically checks for updates regularly. The clean, simple interface should be familiar to any virus scan user. Large, well-placed buttons are easily identified by their function. Users have the option to perform quick scans of commonly infected files or full system scans, which take far longer. The quick scan performed during our testing was completed in a typical amount of time and located numerous tracking cookies, indicating the program performed its function well. Upon request, the program isolated the selected tracking cookies as would be expected. The program did not find any spyware, but there may not have been any to find.
While debate exists regarding the need for spyware scanning on Mac systems, MacScan performs well and is easy to use, which makes it an attractive option for any Mac user looking for a good spyware removal software.MacScan - Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects against blacklisted tracking cookies - Download Video Previews:
MacScan detects, isolates, and removes spyware applications such as keystroke loggers, and trojan horses to protection your Macintosh. Blacklisted cookie scanner removes tracking cookies without saved usernames or passwords. MacScan cleans Internet files, cookies and history. Keep up-to-date with live downloadable spyware definitions and product updates. MacScan will isolate all evidence of spyware type applications to a secured, single location; including the programs, extensions, preferences and any log files then create a report of all activity. With MacScan's extensive spyware education library you can read up on each one of the items and find out how it may have gotten there, how to remove it and any other technical details. Protect your Macintosh from Spyware applications. Stop keystroke loggers from snooping on your every letter typed and intruders remotely accessing your computers files, resources and your privacy. Updates to MacScan will be made often to detect and protect against known spyware devices and issues which could lead to remote access.
What's new in this version: SecureMac releases MacScan 2.9.4 offering full Apple Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) support as well as interface updates and enhanced support for both Firefox and SeaMonkey web browsers. The latest version also adds the latest definitions to protect against the malware affecting Mac OS X and has been featured in the August 2012 issue of Macworld as "Hot Stuff Ã?Â¢?? What We're Raving about This Month."
More Products to Consider
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Our free Antivirus for Mac keeps you safe from all the latest M...
- Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware t...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Removes the Boonana trojan horse.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Get an advanced all-in-one Internet security suite.
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Fight malware that threaten your security on your Mac and iPhon...
- Removes iWork & Photoshop trojan horse spyware.
- Protect your privacy by blocking online tracking.
- Encrypt or decrypt your PDF documents.
- Encrypt and back up data to CeeJay data centers.
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
- Intuitive user interface for VPN connections.
- Record keystrokes, log visited websites, take screenshots and s...
- Test FileMaker database security.
- Mimic another device's MAC address.
- Unlock over 1200 hidden features in Mac OS X and other apps.
- Lock and unlock your Mac account by using your face and track y...
- INetwork will live in your menubar as popover and display netwo...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 14 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Great tech support"
Version: MacScan 2.9.4
Quick response to problems when 2.9.4 update refused to accept my serial number. The tech team came up with just the right solution.
None that I know of.
As an on-demand program, this software is great for housekeeping. It works when I want it to and not when I don't.When 2.9.4 update wouldn't accept my serial number, the tech team came up with just the right solution. As an on-demand program, this software is great for housekeeping, on when I want it, and off when I don't.
Updated on Nov 19, 2012
"Great technical support"
Version: MacScan 2.9.4
MacScan stopped working on my MacBook Pro for some unknown reason. I sent a report to tech support and they responded within a day. The first suggested fix didn't work, but after I emailed them with more details they quickly came back with a new fix that worked perfectly. No hassles, no problems, excellent support. In addition, I like MacScan and I believe is does a fine job helping protect my Mac from some of the bad stuff out there.
No cons at all.