CNET Editors' review
The diversity of video compression formats means some files fail to open in different players. For those who do not want to search for the extra downloads or add-ons for your favorite media player, Streamclip for Mac may be a good option for your system.
Unlike other choices, MPEG Streamclip for Mac comes as freeware, making it easy to try out and justifying its lack of available features. Simple installation had the program up and running within 5 minutes. Unfortunately, the confusing interface was difficult to interpret and there were no instructions easily available. More specifically, the cluttered and technical bottom toolbar would be especially troublesome for more novice users. If you have more experience with different video formats, conversion settings, and options available, the lack of guidance would not be a problem. Fortunately, the default values will work for most users. The program also explicitly states there is no technical support. While MPEG Streamclip is only a converter, it does have all of the options one could need, including AVI, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and even audio-only selections. The actual conversion operation took about as long as one would expect, and the quality of the converted file appeared to match that of the original.
For those knowledgeable users looking for a free, simple video converter with multiple file options, including audio, MPEG Streamclip for Mac is a useful option.MPEG Streamclip - Convert MPEG & transport streams - Download Video Previews:
From Squared 5:
MPEG Streamclip converts QuickTime movies, MPEG-1/2/4 files and transport streams into several formats; for MPEG-2 playback and export, the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is required. MPEG Streamclip can play and convert selectable parts of QuickTime movies, MPEG files and transport streams with MPEG/AC3/PCM audio into DV streams or QuickTime, AVI, MPEG-4 movies using any video codec, with optional 2D-FIR professional scaling, motion-adaptive deinterlacing, and other pro options; all in YUV, with audio in perfect sync. It also performs fast conversions to muxed MPEG files and demuxed M2V, AIFF, M1A, AC3 files, for direct burning with DVD Studio Pro and Toast 6, 7, 8.
What's new in this version: Fixed compatibility with YouTube and Lion.
More Products to Consider
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Convert your music to WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, OGG or Apple Lossles...
- Save YouTube videos in MP3 format.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Free software with everything you need to play, create and stre...
- QuickTime plugin that plays many video formats.
- Digital video editing system.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Simple, straightforward disc burner, with advanced options for ...
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Captures from any digital video device to many formats.
- Convert WMA, WMV files to MP3 format.
- Mix audio, video, and karaoke.
- Explore the creative possibilities of mixing with this full-fea...
- Rip, convert, and download videos from websites.
- Create high-quality QuickTime movies for broadcast over the Int...
- HyperCard tool creates QT movie text tracks.
- Rip DVD to AVI, MPEG, MP4 video formats and MP3, AAC, M4A files...
- Change preferences for QuickTime Player X.
All versions:4.8 stars
out of 51 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Best lightweight video editor/utility I've found."
Version: MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b7
Not only does it do conversions, it fixes bad timecode, field dominance, and through standard Mac editing, writes new files of whatever your working on. It even opens up raw, or orphaned, .vob files, and can even join or separate them using copy/paste with Save As... It was particularly handy for opening up old DVD media that I'd recorded cable content on over the past decade or so--with commercials--and it easily lets me set up punch in/out points to remove said commercials, and render a new commercial-free file. Since, by default, it handles audio and video as a single entity, when you open up a file, you're not dealing with multiple tracks, like even iMovie, that require some care to handle properly even when doing simple edits. Its simplicity ends up being its strength, in my view.
Not really a con, but if you need to deal with audio separately from video, then you have to think through the process a bit. But again, if you can copy/paste, you can build a new file with the correct audio/video combination by selecting the appropriate menu option(s) for the work at hand.
"It just works!"
Version: MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b7
So far I have been able to convert everything I have needed to into every format I have needed to.
It even auto prompts to repair time code breaks when needed.
This is only the second product I have ever given a 5 star rating to...and this one is FREE! It could, and should be a "for purchase" product, but because it's FREE I'm listing this under the "Pro" list.
Compatible with all major video and audio formats...and most (if not all), non-major formats.
Very easy to read and use user interface
Let's me add a watermark to the video
Simply drag your video into the MPEG Streamclip icon on the Dock and you are in business.
Haven't run into any yet. So far it works better than a few programs I have spent quite a lot of money on...which is why I use MPEG Streamclip and am writing this review.
This program is the most powerful, fast, FREE video trans-coding software I have found. I use this program almost daily for professional application.