CNET Editors' review
Pine Grove's Loan*Calculator Plus is a free collection of nine easy-to-use financial calculators for loans and debt, focused on personal finance: Loan Calculator; Compound and Simple Interest and Calendar Math; Accelerated Extra Payments; Cash-Down Automobile Loans; Balloon Payments; Mortgages; Remaining Balance; Refinance; and Basic Amortization. In other words, exactly the sort of finances most people deal with on a daily basis: cars, homes, and small businesses.
Loan*Calculator Plus opens with a simple dialog that serves as a central control for its various tools, with prominent buttons for the nine calculators plus two extras, a Cash Flow/Scheduling tool for Amortization and Refinance Advisers tool. The file menu bar offers some interesting options, such as the ability to choose skins, plus an unusually well-stocked Help menu. We started with the Automobile Loan calculator, a tabbed dialog with entry fields labeled with price of car, number of payments, and so on. We entered the data for our proposed loan, clicked Calc, and the calculator displayed Total Interest, Total Principle & Interest, and Down Payment Percent. Buttons along the bottom let you quickly Print, Copy, Reset, or Undo results. The Options tab configures local defaults such as annual rate and compounding period. The other calculators are all quite similar in appearance and function, just oriented toward a different task. The Amortization tool resembles the other calculators but provides a welcome extra capability for small-business owners. We found the Refinance Adviser more interesting; it helps you evaluate and compare the cost of leasing versus buying when financing or refinancing an asset. It's a bit more complex than the other tools, with a series of questions you answer to help the tool calculate your lowest costs.
Loan*Calculator Plus collects the financial tools most people need the most in one easy-to-access interface. Add to that the fact that it's free, and it's easy to recommend it to all users.
From Pine Grove Software:
Loan*Calculator Plus is a collection of nine financial calculators related to loans and debt. Loan calculator, accelerated extra payments, balloon payments, amortization schedule and exact date compound, and simple interest calculator. Plus loan calculators that deduct percent and amount down payments to arrive at loan amounts. It supports normal loans, Rule-of-78's, Canadian type loans, points, ten payment frequencies, 12 compounding frequencies, and separate origination date and first payment dates.
What's new in this version: Version 3.0d may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Estimate loan payments on houses, cars, and refinances.
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Eliminate your credit card debt and consumer loans using popula...
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Find analogous colors, triads & complements.
- Track and analyze your investments and the markets.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Take test of your ear's capabilities to hear all frequencies of...
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Manage your money flows.
- Determine the volume, area, surface, or perimeter of an object.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Manage files with multi-tabbed, dual panel commander with many ...
All versions:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Loan*Calculator Plus 3.0b
I didn't experience any of the problems stated by the other reviewer.
No print out depicting the reduction of principle available.
"SPAM ALERT!!! warning: may disable your computer"
Version: Loan*Calculator Plus 3.0b
nothing at all
After initial use, splash screen ad completely takes over your computer, frezes up, causes crash & data loss DO NOT INSTALL!!!
Why the editors recommend dangerous junk like this, I don't know. But I can guess... Anyway, if the editors like it but the users don't, then AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! Cost me a days work!