CNET Editors' review
Building a vocabulary is an important part of learning a foreign language (or learning more about your own language) yet it can be difficult for students to get the practice and reinforcement they need to make new words stick. Lingoversity is a language-learning tool that focuses on building vocabularies. It uses nontraditional learning methods designed to stimulate students into learning instead of simply repeating lessons. It can create voice-supported personal vocabularies, lessons, and podcasts. While its technology is unique, it's also somewhat less than intuitive to use, which compromises its effectiveness.
Lingoversity's startup procedure could use some work; the welcome screen lists Glossary, Learning Center, and other entries, but no indication of where to start. We clicked Glossary, the first entry, but a pop-up told us to set the program's General options in Preferences. On the Preferences sheet we added our name, native language, the language we want to learn, and our chosen interface language. We appreciate the ability to use different native and interface languages since they won't be the same for all users and it allows for greater flexibility in language labs and similar learning environments. The program's main interface is the Learning Center, a lesson-based setup dominated by a calendar, pie graphs (like "disk space" graphs) and line graphs to track lessons and achievements. We clicked the first in a series of Lessons buttons, which brought up the New Lessons screen. We could access our current glossary and arrange the display by Status, Expression, Translation, and Comment. A dice icon let us select a random lesson.
Lingoversity's Help file is quite extensive and useful but, like the program, a bit confusing at first. And that's essentially the way it is with Lingoversity: It does things differently, and not always better, at least from the new user's point of view. For example, the main interface lacks a button to minimize it to the taskbar, which is always annoying. You can X it down to the system tray, but to recall it you have to click the tray, click the program's icon, open its welcome screen, and click Learning Center. If you said, "There has got to be a better way," there is, and it's the standard Windows controls. Clunkiness aside, Lingoversity can be an effective learning tool.
Lingoversity is specifically designed to increase your vocabulary in an effective and friendly way. Unlike traditional learning methods, our concept has the power to stimulate, excite and motivate students. Our unique technology guarantees that you will never forget the words you learn. Learning vocabulary is the most fundamental component of acquiring a second language. Use Lingoversity to create your voice supported personal glossary as an at-your-fingertips reference source. Practice your vocabulary and perfect your pronunciation with the aid of your favorite audio podcasts.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Translate any text on a Web page and other applications just by...
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Lookup translations, pictures, videos and sounds in online sour...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Refer to an English dictionary and thesaurus on your computer w...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Search for the words and translate sentences into different lan...
- Learn how to play the piano while having fun.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Visit virtually any place in the world.
- Learn languages and other things in a fun and natural way.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Has some issues"
Version: Lingoversity 1.2.5
Installs and removes easily. I didn't use it long enough to find any real pros.
This program greatly slowed down my computer's performance, even after removal. It also turned off my antivirus and removed the antivirus icon from the system tray, both without my permission and without warning.
I do not recommend this program, mostly for security reasons.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: