CNET Editors' review
Looking for a word processor, spreadsheet and slideshow maker, basic vector drawing creator, and database manager? Open-source LibreOffice for Mac is all that and more. Compatible with most known file types such as MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint, this software offers functionality, an intuitive interface, and overall good results.
LibreOffice for Mac is about 175MB, which is rather large, but this can be expected of this type of software. The program features a quite intuitive and user-friendly interface, very similar to Office but a lot simpler. When it comes to its looks, this program seems rather outdated and could use a makeover. However, some users may appreciate it exactly for its simplicity and modesty. When it comes to opening documents with rather simple formatting this software does the job well, although you can expect some minor compatibility glitches with documents containing more complicated formatting and graphics. Overall, with an active community of contributing developers regularly pushing updates, enhancements and bug corrections, this software seems to have a bright future.
A serious alternative to MS Office for budget-minded Mac owners, LibreOffice for Mac is currently the best option available on the open-source market. It is perfect for students who can't afford an Office license or for any open-source software supporters.LibreOffice - Use an office productivity suite for Mac - Download Video Previews:
From The Document Foundation:
LibreOffice is a free, open-source personal productivity suite that gives you six feature-rich applications for all your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base. Support and documentation is free from our large, dedicated community of users, contributors and developers.
Writer is the word processor inside LibreOffice. Use it for everything, from dashing off a quick letter to producing an entire book with tables of contents, embedded illustrations, bibliographies and diagrams. The while-you-type auto-completion, auto-formatting and automatic spelling checking make difficult tasks easy (but are easy to disable if you prefer). Writer is powerful enough to tackle desktop publishing tasks such as creating multi-column newsletters and brochures. The only limit is your imagination.
Calc tames your numbers and helps with difficult decisions when you're weighing the alternatives. Analyze your data with Calc and then use it to present your final output. Charts and analysis tools help bring transparency to your conclusions. A fully-integrated help system makes easier work of entering complex formulas. Add data from external databases such as SQL or Oracle, then sort and filter them to produce statistical analyses. Use the graphing functions to display large number of 2D and 3D graphics from 13 categories, including line, area, bar, pie, X-Y, and net - with the dozens of variations available, you're sure to find one that suits your project.
Impress is the fastest and easiest way to create effective multimedia presentations. Stunning animation and sensational special effects help you convince your audience. Create presentations that look even more professional than the standard presentations you commonly see at work. Get your collegues' and bosses' attention by creating something a little bit different.
Draw lets you build diagrams and sketches from scratch. A picture is worth a thousand words, so why not try something simple with box and line diagrams? Or else go further and easily build dynamic 3D illustrations and special effects. It's as simple or as powerful as you want it to be.
Base is the database front-end of the LibreOffice suite. With Base, you can seamlessly integrate into your existing database structures. Based on imported and linked tables and queries from MySQL, PostgreSQL or Microsoft Access and many other data sources, you can build powerful databases containing forms, reports, views and queries. Full integration is possible with the in-built HSQL database.
Math is a simple equation editor that lets you lay-out and display your mathematical, chemical, electrical or scientific equations quickly in standard written notation. Even the most-complex calculations can be understandable when displayed correctly. E=mc2.
LibreOffice also comes configured with a PDF file creator, meaning you can distribute documents that you're sure can be opened and read by users of almost any computing device or operating system.
What's new in this version:
- This release is bit-for-bit identical to the 4.1.3 Release Candidate 3, so you don't need to download or reinstall if you have that version already.
- Mac version doesn't bundle the mediawiki extension
- The distribution for Windows is an international build, so you can choose the user interface language that you prefer. Help content is available via an online service, or alternatively as a separate install.
- Our Windows binaries are digitally signed by The Docu... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook suite of applications.
- Open-source office productivity suite with Microsoft Office com...
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage suite.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage suite.
- Productivity suite: Pages, Keynote, Numbers.
- Office suite based on OpenOffice.org.
- View & print PDF files.
- Convert PDFs into the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint formats gener...
- Word processor & page layout app.
- Always keep your invoices and estimates at a glance.
- Print shipping labels with USPS postage for all of your online ...
- Viewer for NFO, ASC, DIZ files.
- Vector graphics (SVG) drawing tool.
- Convert your wealth between 175 world currencies.
- Virtualization package for Windows and Linux.
- Messaging & collaboration client.
- Bridge between OpenOffice/NeoOffice spreadsheets and Java class...
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- PowerPoint-compatible presentation tool.
- Mikogo is a free desktop sharing tool for web conferencing with...
- Read, annotate, highlight and mark up PDFs. Designed for scient...
- Cross-platform desktop, console and web development tool.
- Go Writer is a clever word processor to help you accomplish you...
- Manage your financial accounts.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 12 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Painfully slow, but does a few things Paged does not."
Version: LibreOffice 4.1.3
Will paste web copy nearly like original, whereas Pages alters format requiring numerous changes to become intelligible.
ANY action taken (save, print edit, etc.) takes 30 t0 60 seconds to complete.
If you prefer what Libre Text can do, and don't mind the lag, I recommend it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content