CNET Editors' review
Here's something interesting: an entire office productivity suite that can run from a USB drive. It's LibreOffice Portable, a portable-ized version of The Document Foundation's free open-source suite. It's compatible with most other productivity suites and tools, including Word, WordPerfect, and Lotus, and packs the tools you need, including a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation maker, drawing tool, and database.
At 412 MB, LibreOffice Portable is a substantial package, but who cares? With multigigabyte USB drives and memory cards, storage isn't an issue. The installer offered an experimental option to exclude Multilanguage support, which saves 150 MB, but we chose the full installation. The program runs on any Windows PC from 98 to 7, which is a lot of machines. Opening the program's folder, we found portable versions of LibreOffice Base, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, and Writer, as well as an HTML-based Help file and data folders. Interestingly, these tools won't run from a directory containing spaces, and we had to change our folder from "Portable Apps" to "PortableApps." Once we'd done that, all the tools opened normally. We certainly have no complaints about LibreOffice, which many users have found to be a good performer and a viable alternative to expensive suites.
By installing the jPortable portable Java runtime environment, users can add features such as document creation wizards to LibreOffice Portable. LibreOffice has a lot to recommend it on its own, like LibreOffice Math; some well-known bundles have nothing to compare to it. Being able to take it all with you sets LibreOffice Portable apart from many similar tools. Since this portable version was created by PortableApps, it's reliable and highly recommended.
LibreOffice Portable is a full-featured office suite that's compatible with Microsoft Office, Word Perfect, Lotus and other office applications. It's easy-to-use and feature-rich, performing nearly all of the functions you'd expect in an office suite, but at no cost. Additional functionality including the Base database and document creation wizards is enabled by installing the jPortable portable Java runtime environment.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Create, read, edit and share word, spreadsheets and presentatio...
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Extract icon resources from any folder.
- Monitor and administer Web sphere MQ products installed in your...
- Enhance your document production and data processing with featu...
- Scan and delete all the files and registry created by WinFixer.
- Take a suite of essential everyday software tools wherever you ...
- Organize your digital-photo collection, retouch and view pictur...
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Manage your one-time, daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and ye...
- Recover damaged PSD and PDD Photoshop files.
All versions:4.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Nice little office program."
Version: LibreOffice Portable 3.4.3
Extremely portable. includes the six essential office applications.
At first use it took almost a minute to load. Afterwards it loaded within fifteen seconds.
This is useful when doing papers and such using public or someone else's computer. Although most library computers and computer labs already have Microsoft office, this is a great back-up office suite or can be used as a primary office program for those who want to keep their computers lightweight.
"A good, free office program."
Version: LibreOffice Portable 3.4.2
It's free and portable. Way better than any of the other free suites like OpenOffice, Office Web Apps, Google Docs, etc.
Not 100% compatible with MS Office. The interface is outdated.
It's a great office program, but it has some things that should be corrected before the next version comes out. The interface is not intuitive. It looks like MS Office 2003 but the functions are not easy to find sometimes. You can get used to this practicing, but doing some stuff is a bit difficult for a newcomer. But my biggest complain is the lack of compatibility with MS Office. It screws with the format most times specially with tables when saving the file as .doc and .docx. People who need to share files with others that use MS Office beware. Other than that is a great free office suite, not as good as MS Office but does what is meant to do.
"Very good Office program"
Version: LibreOffice Portable 3.4.1
It is FREE and PORTABLE.
It has many optios and works very well.
Easy interface (similar to word or excell of Microsoft).
There are many other options.
Installation is a little long, but all goes well.
No at all at this moment, unless the application requires a little long time to start.
It must be installed directly on Devices, without create any folder inside.
This application is very useful for all users especially for those who want to carry around the application.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content