CNET Editors' review
Although it's possible, configuring daemon by editing its PLIST file can seem obscure, and reading all the documentation can by overwhelming. To save you the trouble, LaunchControl for Mac lets you access all the documented p-list keys and apply them with relative ease. All the rules come with a clear explanation of their effect and expected values.
With LaunchControl for Mac you can use either an abstracted, more graphical interface or toggle on the expert mode, which will then let you see a more familiar PLIST editor to directly edit values for each item. The selected action will then simply add itself as a new key value pair on your PLIST. As a bonus, you now have a list of documented PLIST keys with simple and short explanations. Actions can be conditional and related to folders or file changes, StdIn / SdtOut, time intervals, and many more. The list contains more than 30 actions to choose from and can be combined to achieve the expected results on a particular daemon. We particularly appreciated the warnings to let the user know when they are attempting to modify system-critical elements. The price for this software is $10, but since there is no copy protection you will not receive a serial number or license.
If you are looking for more power-user customization of your launch items and daemons, but are not too fond of reading manual pages on the terminal, then LaunchControl for Mac might be the solution to fill the gap and let you more easily customize daemon behavior.
With LaunchControl you see all services and their respective status at a glance. Invalid services are highlighted and a problem description is provided. You can enable or disable services with a single click. The same goes for loading, unloading and ad-hoc starting. Long list of jobs may be filtered. You find what you are looking for in an instant. But LaunchControl is not just another .plist editor. It provides a dedicated interface for every single launchd(8) configuration key. The interface is adaptive. It displays only information that is relevant for the selected job. While the default editing mode in LaunchControl supports all documented features of launchd(8), you may sometimes need to use unofficial features. Switch to 'Expert Mode' and you're set. Both modes are fully synchronized. Changes in one editor will instantly show up in the other one. LaunchControl provides everything you need to create, edit, remove or debug launch services. It even includes a log viewer, so you don't have to fire up Console.app and build custom queries. launchd(8) currently supports some 36+ documented keys. LaunchControl makes it easy to discover them. Every key in the palette panel is annotated, so you don't have to consult the man page. Search them by category, name or description. Once found, drag an item from the palette section to the configuration section to add this key.
What's new in this version:
- Problem when changing filter attributes saved in a previous session
- Save exposed/hidden state of filter view
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Data recovery software.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- High-quality scanner driver with support for several manufactur...
- Minimalistic pasteboard enhancement.
- Place an alarm clock on your desktop and use your audio files a...
- Helping you work out the right combination of low-carb meals ea...
- Bundle of 15 XTensions and more for Quark 8.
- Beta channel of Google's web browser.
- Remove apps, data, and other unnecessary junk.
- Back up Google Docs, Reader, Calendar and Contacts to your Mac.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content