CNET Editors' review
The beautiful LED keyboard backlight is perhaps one of the most beloved features of Mac laptops. With Lab Tick for Mac, users can now fine-tune their settings to customize this feature.
Installation of this app is a very easy drag-and-drop process. The interface is very straightforward and rudimentary, too. Once installed, Lab Tick for Mac will sit very conveniently on top of the menu bar while running in the background. When you click the icon on top of the menu bar, a slider will pop up, allowing you to adjust the brightness of your keyboard backlight. For the adventurous users, there is a preference pane to mess with more advanced settings such as updating frequency of the LED, which helps to save the battery life of your Mac. There's even an option to add a quick shortcut key to toggle the brightness of the LED or to turn it off. This is perfect for advanced users who bind shortcut keys to every possible command on their Mac.
Lab Tick for Mac seems to be a very useful app, allowing users to fine-tune the brightness of their keyboard backlight to the desired level. This app offers many customization options that will particularly appeal to advanced Mac users.
From Alexander Repty:
Have you ever been annoyed by the fact that you could not turn on your PowerBook's or MacBook Pro's keyboard illumination in daylight? If so, here's your solution. Lab Tick gives you total control over the backlit keyboard.
What's new in this version: Introduced full 64-bit-support for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
More Products to Consider
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Control your MacBook's fans.
- Conceal your IP address on the web.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Make the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of ...
- Get pop-up notifications for iTunes track changes, new email, a...
- Menubar battery meter monitors laptop & ups power.
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Forces windows to go full screen when you click the green orb b...
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.
- Icon and Dock cataloging and customization.
- Decimal/binary/hex converter.
- Display and hide hidden files.
- Add a small clock to your menu bar.
- Interact with a liquid by tilting your laptop.
- Gives back the Alt-Gr key to your Mac for German keyboards.
- Alarm clock utility.
- AirPlay mirror your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 to any Mac.
- Customize sound alerts for your Mac.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"THE Keyboard Backlighting Control for MacBook Pros"
Version: Lab Tick 0.9.4
Precise & complete control of keyboard backlighting. (1) Handy menu icon control, (2) illumination level memory, (3) On/off toggle of Mac OS X illumination adjustment, (4) refresh frequency slide bar control, (5) Shortcuts for Dim, Brighten, On/Off.
What's not to like?! It's freeware to boot!
App allows you to avoid frustrations with MacBook Pro ambient light control of keyboard backlighting. In the latest MacBook Pros (post June 2009), the computer itself does just fine with key backlighting. But in pre June 2009) MacBook Pros, I found myself struggling with ambient lighting thresholds and flickers. Lab Tick put an end to those frustrations. This is a must have app for early MacBook Pros. For features and functonality, see Pros box above.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: