CNET Editors' review
For users of the Twitter-like social network App.net, applications for the Mac are difficult to find. Kiwi for Mac allows reading and drafting of posts and manages the service well for those who are members.
Available as a free trial version with a banner, the full version requires a payment of $9.99. Despite the lack of a native installer, we had no trouble installing and setting up Kiwi for Mac. Upon startup, the user is prompted to enter an App.net password to begin. There are no instructions, but the program is easy to use. A menu at the top gives the user access to posts as well as other useful features for the network. Selecting the New Post button opens an additional menu for typing the entry. This provides a countdown so the user can see how many characters remain in the network's per post limit. Users can also track followers and the number of user mentions, which are useful features for the social network. While the program does not add any functions beyond the actual Web version of the network, it does allow its functions outside of the user's Web browser.
Kiwi for Mac seems to be a useful app for those who belong to the App.net network. This app allows the social network's full functioning away from the user's Web browser.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Kiwi for Mac 3.0.3.
From YourHead Software:
Kiwi likes to spend a lot of time on your desktop, so we made sure he would fit in. Choose a theme or build your own -- it's easy.
Kiwi can show one minimalist timeline for the social media Zen master, or display lots of accounts for the social networking butterfly.
Kiwi can manage your tweets with rules and regular expressions, plus he can combine Twitter accounts to create personalized timelines.
What's new in this version:
- New - Support for Instapaper and Readability.
- IMPROVED - Many more image types display inline including Instagram and YouTube.
- New - You can now create custom links using Markdown.
- IMPROVED - Links display without a bracketed domain name. The entire URL is always displayed in a tooltip.
- IMPROVED - Long links display shortened with an ellipsis. The entire URL is... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Hear, see, and chat with many people at a time.
- Send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on...
- Video chat/calling tool; see up to 6 friends at once.
- Exchange online messages that appear as soon as they're sent.
- Use your webcam with multiple apps & add cool graphics & effect...
- View Outlook .msg email and contact files on Mac.
- Export to Facebook directly from iPhoto.
- Add DSP effects to any Mac application with audio content.
- Auto record Skype phone and video calls.
- Tiny Twitter client with Growl support, inline images.
- Instant messaging tool.
- Menu bar del.icio.us client for accessing shared bookmarks.
- Localized version.
- Control camera settings from iChat, Skype and other apps.
- Multi-protocol instant messaging client.
- Access Facebook and Twitter from your desktop.
- Browser plugin to view rich multimedia web content.
- Get more Twitter followers.
- Keep track of Internet traffic volume.
- Have a video chat with people all over Facebook.
- To-do list manager.
- Connect with all your friends instantly.
- Drag & drop images and text directly into Quark.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content