CNET Editors' review
For users of the Twitter-like social network App.net, applications for the Mac are difficult to find. Kiwi for Mac allows reading and drafting of posts and manages the service well for those who are members.
Available as a free trial version with a banner, the full version requires a payment of $9.99. Despite the lack of a native installer, we had no trouble installing and setting up Kiwi for Mac. Upon startup, the user is prompted to enter an App.net password to begin. There are no instructions, but the program is easy to use. A menu at the top gives the user access to posts as well as other useful features for the network. Selecting the New Post button opens an additional menu for typing the entry. This provides a countdown so the user can see how many characters remain in the network's per post limit. Users can also track followers and the number of user mentions, which are useful features for the social network. While the program does not add any functions beyond the actual Web version of the network, it does allow its functions outside of the user's Web browser.
Kiwi for Mac seems to be a useful app for those who belong to the App.net network. This app allows the social network's full functioning away from the user's Web browser.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Kiwi for Mac 3.0.3.
From YourHead Software:
Kiwi likes to spend a lot of time on your desktop, so we made sure he would fit in. Choose a theme or build your own -- it's easy.
Kiwi can show one minimalist timeline for the social media Zen master, or display lots of accounts for the social networking butterfly.
Kiwi can manage your tweets with rules and regular expressions, plus he can combine Twitter accounts to create personalized timelines.
What's new in this version:
- New - Cross posting can now be enabled per post.
- New - Cross posting controls show the tweet length.
- New - Image attachments default to ADN file storage.
- New - You can now drag images into the post window to upload.
- New - You can now paste images into the post window to upload.
- New - You can now reverse the direction of swip... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Read e-mail and news the way you want it, with intelligent junk...
- Send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on...
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Menu bar del.icio.us client for accessing shared bookmarks.
- Hear, see, and chat with many people at a time.
- Block annoyances and reveal gems of twitter.
- Exchange online messages that appear as soon as they're sent.
- Use your webcam with multiple apps & add cool graphics & effect...
- Export to Facebook directly from iPhoto.
- Tiny Twitter client with Growl support, inline images.
- View Outlook .msg email and contact files on Mac.
- Bulk e-mailer for sending personalized messages; track messages...
- Talk to all your friends with a single application.
- Instant messaging tool.
- Take control of email attachments in Apple Mail.
- Automate scheduled backups of your files.
- Use more than one Skype account at once.
- Video chat/calling tool; see up to 6 friends at once.
- Track billable time and expenses and create professional invoic...
- View Twitter's mobile site from your menu bar.
- VoIP softphone for SIP networks, pbx like features.
- Recipe cookbook manager with sample recipes.
- Preview your desktops from the log in screen.
- Automatically backup your mail from any IMAP-supported accounts...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content