CNET Editors' review
Although its portability is a big selling point, we encountered some minor program errors with this Web site password saver. KeyPass is a U3 application, so you'll need Launchpad enabled on your flash drive to install this app. The multitabbed interface takes only a quick read of the manual to comprehend. However, testers reported the app sometimes popped up with an error message while reading the Help screen. They found that minimizing the program before scrolling down the Help file seems to forestall any errors.
Operating KeyPass is front loaded. You'll have to manually save usernames, passwords, and code login scripts for each site you want to save. The scripts are very basic and most users will pick up the few commands with very little practice. Invoking the app to paste in username, password, and other data takes just a Ctrl-right-click in the first field. A small pop-up lists all saved accounts. Scroll to the one you need and click. Users with many Web accounts may find the scroll process a pain, but it is easy to create subfolders for better organization.
Though it lists no limitations, the free edition is capped at 10 entries. Sure, the easy scripting to type in the passwords makes KeyPass helpful. We'd have preferred if the app also captured the passwords and other data as we typed them to log in. Nevertheless, the portability and ease of use means this is a password keeper you'll want to test.
KeyPass is a versatile password manager that types your passwords for you. Unlike other password managers that require tedious cut-and-paste or drag-and-drop operations to enter your passwords, KeyPass types the passwords for you when a user-defined "hot key" is pressed. As such, it works with any browser or application, including Web browsers, terminal emulators and corporate services. You are not limited to Internet Explorer alone. KeyPass can be installed on external storage devices such as keychain-size USB flash drives.
What's new in this version: Version 4.9.15 fixed when exporting to HTML, link breaks in folder notes are not properly exported.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Store your passwords on a portable USB drive securely.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Launch and manage your applications, documents, URLs, and other...
- Manage and secure your passwords.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Apply several security settings to drives including removable.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect your Web site with a password and manage user accounts ...
- Protect sensitive information.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Fill in passwords and other personal data automatically.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Bring your passwords to order with a tree structure and a stron...
- Store your usernames, passwords, and Web sites they are used at...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Manage all of your online accounts and serial numbers.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Store your passwords, logins, and hyperlinks in an encrypted fi...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
All versions:2.3 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Older version working great"
Version: KeyPass Portable 4.9.15
Easy to use, stores lots of passwords, easy to manage, nice password generator, key feature is great for added security.
None that I can see. But, I am using an older version so beware as the newer one might not be as good. Download ver 1.18 and see how you like it. That is the one I have used for several years.
Version 1.18 works great.