CNET Editors' review
Thisisu's Junkware Removal Tool purges your system of PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) like adware and toolbars almost as easily as they find their way into your system. It's not uncommon for freeware to come bundled with other programs that you can usually decline to install, but it's also not unusual for one to sneak past your defenses. Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) is a one-step system cleaner that targets PUPs, adware, toolbars, and other malicious, suspicious, and pernicious system parasites, removing not only the unwanted program but also any traces left behind in your Registry and other places where debris accumulates. JRT is portable freeware, so it leaves no traces behind, either. It's also very basic, from the user's point of view: There are no settings or options, and the Command Line-style interface might not appeal to some users. But it's fast and effective, and it produces a detailed log of its actions.
We extracted JRT's executable file and clicked it. The program opened in a Command Line interface. Following JRT's instructions, we closed our browser and other open programs and pressed a random key to continue. JRT created a registry backup and began scanning our system, checking Startup, Modules, and so on, in sequence. It's normal for various windows to open and close quickly when JRT is running. The whole scan took about five minutes and found, removed, and scrubbed up a pair of PUPs. JRT automatically saved a text log to our desktop. It detailed everything the program did. Of course, if there's a toolbar or PUP that you actually want to keep, you'll need to reinstall it every time you run JRT since it offers no exclusion list.
Junkware Removal Tool's super-basic interface and all-or-nothing process limit its appeal somewhat, though we have no complaints about JRT's effectiveness. But similar tools that offer more options are available. We ran some popular cleaners after running JRT. Far from being redundant, JRT added powerful, targeted cleaning to our security lineup. JRT is free and safe, so you have nothing to lose by trying it, except of course for those pesky PUPs!
Junkware Removal Tool is a security utility that searches for and removes common adware, toolbars, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) from your computer. A common tactics among freeware publishers is to offer their products for free, but bundle them with PUPs in order to earn revenue. This tool will help you remove these types of programs. Junkware Removal Tool has the ability to remove the following types of programs like Ask Toolbar, Babylon, browser manager, Claro / iSearch, Conduit, Coupon Printer for Windows, Crossrider, DealPly, Facemoods / Funmoods, iLivid, Iminent, IncrediBar, MyWebSearch, Searchqu, and Web Assistant.
What's new in this version:
- AppInit_DLLs registry value on x64 only systems is also checked for modification.
- Database update - MyPC Backup, Expresso, AskForExpert.
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect folders, hide files, lock applications, and restrict ac...
- Rescue your computer from viruses and malware.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 10 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Did what I needed - and more!"
Version: Junkware Removal Tool 6.0.8
It was recommended to me that it could get rid of MyInfotopia plugin, and it sure did solve that problem.
It took some time, but after I saw the rapport I was so happy I did.
The rapport also showed "old bits" of malware it had found left in my registry. Bits of malware I thought already was gone when I had been running other programs. If not moved it will continue to slow your PC.
It's always with some risk you run a new program that few people know about. Specially when Your not a "spam expert". Hope more people will use it in the future.
I am so happy I ran this program.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content