CNET Editors' review
Timers and alarms can help you keep track of all kinds of things, whether they're reminding you of your 2:00 meeting or that it's time to take the cake out of the oven. Jumbo Timer is a flexible program that combines timer, alarm clock, and stopwatch features and allows users to create as many of them as they need. Unfortunately, functional problems limited the usefulness of this otherwise promising program.
Jumbo Timer has a simple interface. The numbers of the clock or timer are displayed in an easy-to-read typeface in black on a white background, with an attractive blue border. You can configure the program by clicking on a small Settings button that appears when you mouse over the interface. This opens a large but well-organized configuration panel. You can select whether you want to use the Stop Watch, Count Down, or Alarm Clock, enable seconds or tenths of seconds, change the display colors, set hot keys, and more. Each alarm has space for recording a title and any relevant notes; these will show when the alarm goes off. Notification options include a sound file -- the program comes with 10 of them -- or having the program speak the alarm's title.
This is where we first ran into problems with Jumbo Timer; although users have the option of selecting their own sound file to use for the alarm, when we tried this, the program crashed repeatedly. The real deal breaker, however, came when we attempted to create multiple alarms, which is one of Jumbo Timer's most touted features. This is done by right-clicking on an existing clock and selecting the Clone option from the context menu. In theory, this is supposed to create a new clock that can be configured as desired. In practice, though, it just caused the program to crash every time we tried it. This is unfortunate, because Jumbo Timer is otherwise a very useful program with a lot of attractive qualities.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of Jumbo Timer 2.21. The trial version is limited to 15 days.
From Johannes Wallroth:
Jumbo Timer is a versatile desktop timer program with an unlimited number of free-floating timers. The timer windows can be resized from tiny to full screen. Unlimited timers with cloning function. Timer can be paused and resumed later. Alarm can play an audio file (WAV, MP3, and WMA) or speak the timer title. It features adjustable color schemes, global hotkeys, hidden (system tray) mode, and optional display of days and 1/10 seconds.
What's new in this version: Version 2.3 has added option to repeat a sound file on alarm and fixed a minor issues with modal dialogs blocking each other.
More Products to Consider
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Start timer in countdown mode, an alarm clock, or a stopwatch.
- Set up unlimited number of timers for your daily tasks.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Display unlimited world clocks with world map on your desktop.
- Track how much time has passed.
- Wake up/remember important event to your favorite songs.
- Set timers, reminders, and alarms right on your desktop.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Keep track of the time enjoying smooth transition from one colo...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows user interface.
- Measure your time via fullscreen timer and stopwatch software.
- Set up lightweight countdown timer and clock.
- Bring more attraction and productivity to your desktop.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Measure time in seconds from 3 seconds to 49 days and get a 'ti...
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Provide a skinnable timer for your desktop.
- Personalize your Windows 8 start and lock screens with your own...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Best clock for desktop and infoboards!"
Version: Jumbo Timer 1.01
Very good en clear visible in every desktop environment! Configuration is very easy. Clock can be set to your own favorite looks and colors! (every color combination is possible. There are already several presets available in te program.
I don't have one ;)
Clock works excellent! The digit configuration makes it one of the best configurable digital display clocks I've ever seen! I'm using it for our infoboards on school, because it can easily let you show the time on foreground over a presentation i.e. with Powerpoint. It's worth the price! Not every environment let you show a ticking clock on the foreground. For these issues, it is the perfect solution!
"Perfect Timer for timing Billing Hours"
Version: Jumbo Timer 1.0
-Always on top option
-Can change size/colour scheme
-Register a hot-key for pause/continue, such as those extra keys you never use on the keyboard
-Count time when rebooting even, good if you have to reboot computer for work ie
-None I can think of
Perfect for using to time hours for billing a client.
It's always-on top, but small and you can put it out of the way. It *just* displays the time, which means you don't have crap cluttering your screen. Makes it very hard to forget to start or stop the timer. Register a hot key to it and it couldn't be easier to keep accurate records.
Before this was using a physical kitchen timer, as everything else was too easy to forget to pause it when you are taking a break. This is even better since it is on the screen...
"Multisized timer that can count up or down."
Version: Jumbo Timer 1.0
Display is very easy to read and can be customized. I use it to time telephone calls I make but it could be used to display a "big" timer on the computer screen for all to see. It is simple to use. Can be set for viewing on top of all other windows.
It is limited to one function. You can make it a clock but only for local time.
Simple to use and good display.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: