CNET Editors' review
JB Music Catalog is a personal database for music lovers and collectors. It catalogs your CDs, LPs, tapes, MP3s, and more with a level of detail few other databases can match at any price, yet it's also freeware. It's highly customizable in its look, layout, and properties. It incorporates a music player and can generate detailed reports and discographies, too.
To open JB Music Catalog, you must first create a new catalog or open an existing catalog. We created a new catalog, which involves either changing or accepting the default name and directory in Explorer. The program opened normally after checking for updates. The default interface can be customized; we found that the left-hand navigation panel's expandable alphabetical listing let us quickly access entries by name (once we'd created some entries, of course). We started by clicking the Add Artist icon, which brought up the compact Add Artist Type wizard. Here we could specify an Artist Type (like Jazz, Rock, etc.) as well as configure the title format ("Beatles, The" or "The Beatles," for example) and even set our choices as defaults. We clicked Save, and the Add Artist tool appeared. This dialog let us add and sort the name, add countries to a drop-down list for selecting, link Web sites, and add photos and notes. Next, we entered our tunes in the Add Media wizard: name, media type, artist, and other data, and clicked Save. That called up a page with the most extensive and detailed data fields we've ever seen in a music database. Not just a drop-down list for Release Year; we're talking about a second list for Re-Release Year. Check boxes let us select Live, Mono, Remastered, Bootleg, and other useful categories. A 76-page PDF-based Help file answers most questions, and more help is available.
Of course, all that data isn't going to enter itself; that's the "B side" of such archives, since it can be daunting just to get started. We recommend starting with a stack of CDs from the same artist and entering your collection in stages. Once you're done, your catalog can be updated, saved, and exported to PDF, Excel, and Word. That's true of many database tools; what isn't true is that most tools offer music collectors the same level of sophistication and detail that JB offers. They don't.
From JB Music Catalogue:
JB Music Catalogue is a program that allows you to easily catalog you music collection. Features: Any music formats can be cataloged, and new formats can be added. Link albums that have the same song on them. Catalog your iTunes Music Library. Catalog your MP3 / WMA files. Produce customizable reports of your music collection. Export your reports to pdf, word, excel. Play your music. Import lyrics for your songs. Import album art from a folder. Add multiple pictures for each album and artist. View all pictures full size. Create a discography for each artist. Create a wishlist. Import and export albums between catalogs. Many different ways to view your music. Filter for specific media types. Change the appearance of the program. Download latest updates from the internet.
What's new in this version: Various bug fixes and performance improvements.
More Products to Consider
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Import one or more text files into a blank MS Project file.
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Manage extensive music collections on your own.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Manage extensive digital music and video collections, tag, sync...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Tag and organize your MP3 music collection, get cover arts, lyr...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Display hidden machinery capacity and losses.
- Organize and catalog your CDs and records into a fully searchab...
- Get grooveshark Power Search Bar and Ad-Remover.
- Keep detailed records of your geocaching.
- Add the ability to search for lyrics to your Internet Explorer ...
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Organize and track your physical music collection.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"JB Music Catalogue 18.104.22.168"
Version: JB Music Catalogue 22.214.171.124
Avaliable to download as iso or zip.
None I'm aware of.
"Screenshots look good but coulnt install"
Version: JB Music Catalogue 126.96.36.199
Its distributed in ISO format, why on earth ?
Double clicked and Windows didnt know what to do with it, perhaps I could burn it to CD but why should i its ridicolous
"Excellent Easy to use"
Version: JB Music Catalogue 1.5
None found so far
"Excellen program, great functionality, easy to use!"
Version: JB Music Catalogue 188.8.131.52
Easily catalogue your music collection
Right clcking on most things brings a menu of things to do
Catalogue iTunes library in minutes using the import from iTunes function
Allows entry of as little or as much data as necessary
Don't like the blues colour scheme, but can create your own if you have time
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content